Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still no way to turn off vibrate just for alarm?

How have we made it all the way to iOS7 without the very basic feature of being able to turn off the vibrate for the alarm, while leaving it enabled for other alerts?

I keep my phone silenced most the time so I need the vibrate feature for calls, etc. turned on. But when my phone is on my nightstand as my alarm, I HATE the grating sound as it vibrates away on the wood. Even placing it on something softer, like a magazine, doesn't help much because the motor itself is loud.

This seems like such a basic feature and one I've seen asked for countless time... so when are we going to get this, Apple?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 7:51 AM

14 replies

Oct 11, 2013 9:07 AM in response to benjamin1

Since you keep your phone on Silent. Then might I suggest disabling the vibrate for Ring?

Settings---> Sounds---> Turn Off Vibrate on Ring and Turn On Vibrate on Silent.

Then set your Do Not Disturb so that you can sleep. But once the your Alarm goes off, all you'll hear is the alarm and no vibration. That is if you have the ringer on Ring instead of Silent.

KOT

Feb 12, 2014 5:06 AM in response to benjamin1

Yay, just found this solution and it worked for me! I wasn't expecting it to work because you are going into the ringtone preferences, but I chose the 'silk' tone and turned off the vibrate option. Even though I use a different tone for my phone ringer the 'silk' alarm clock doesn't vibrate unless I turn on the physical 'vibrate' switch above the volume buttons.

Credit to the blogger I found this from:

http://gerard.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/how-to-stop-the-ringer-vibration-on-your- iphone-5-alarm/

This is my preferred solution. At least this way, you keep vibrations on other types of notification.

So, on your iPhone, browse to the Settings app and go into Sounds.

Scroll down to Sounds And Vibration Patterns and click into your Ringtone.

You should see an option for Vibration. It’s usually set to Alert (Default), but you should go to the bottom of this screen and choose None instead.

Now, test this out by going to your Clock app and testing the ringtone on the Alarm settings. It should sound the ringtone you’ve selected, but not vibrate. Set the volume of the ringer to your desired level by using the volume buttons on the side of the phone.

http://gerard.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/how-to-stop-the-ringer-vibration-on-your- iphone-5-alarm/

Mar 31, 2014 9:48 PM in response to benjamin1

Alright so not sure how you guys might feel about this one but I personally have come up with a solution. In the sounds section of settings, I turned off "vibrate on ring" while leaving "vibrate on silent on". The only thing you have to do is at night turn your phones' sound on. Personally I also turn "do not disturb" mode on too but that one is your choice. This will cause your alarm to not vibrate when it goes off. It definitely helps me wake up in the mornings.

Hope it helps you too

Apr 2, 2014 8:23 AM in response to Average tech guy

This worked in iOS 6, stopped in iOS7, and works again in iOS7.1 (for me at least).

I don't like it as a solution because it completely disables vibration for texts and calls, etc. It does work if you want to turn off "Vibrate on Ring" every night then turn it on again in the morning, along with Do Not Disturb. Too many steps in the menu you'd have to take twice a day. Why can't there just be a On/Off setting in the Alarm for vibrate..?

Jul 3, 2014 11:38 PM in response to benjamin1

I have seen many answers that did not work here. So here is my clear explanation of what I had to do, using iOS 7.1.2 on an iPhone, to get it so that the horrible buzzing vibrate does not happen when you set the clock alarm clock. It is not a dream solution, because the method does ALSO influence the vibration behavior for OTHER sounds on your phone.

1-- In settings > sounds, down inside the section Reminder Alerts I have vibration set to none. (this may not actually be necessary for the above goal. just how I have it set.)

2-- In settings > sounds, down inside the section Calendar Alerts I have vibration set to none. (this may not actually be necessary for the above goal. just how I have it set.)

3-- The main thing: In settings > sounds, at the very top, I had to turn both Vibrate on Ring and Vibrate on Silent OFF. (The reason I turned that Vibrate on Silent to be off is because I have my settings > Do Not Disturb > Scheduled set to make my phone go into Do Not Disturb mode between 10pm and 7am. So for this "no vibrate on alarm" goal, I have to have Vibrate on Silent off, or the phone would say, oh, he's in silent mode because of do not disturb... I should do Vibrate! ... You may wonder why my alarm would be set for a time inside my do not disturb period. That's because the only time I use my alarm is when I am getting up at weird ungodly hours for flights, etc. I don't use my alarm for normal waking before work.)

Under these circumstances, your alarm clock will not make the horrible buzz before ringing.

... But again, this is not a happy solution, because it will also have an effect on your phone's RINGER... your ringer will now never vibrate. So, if you never hear your phone when it's ringing in your pocket... the function of the vibrate to remedy that situation is disabled by this method.

Apple really does need to create an additional entry in the Settings > Sounds section just to address the Clock Alarm... it is ridiculous.

Oct 1, 2014 2:56 PM in response to benjamin1

This enables me to get a wakeup alarm without vibrate in the morning AND in the day time get vibrate on call when the Silent switch is set to mute sounds.

My solution is to set vibrate on call OFF, vibrate on silent ON, Select a ringtone vibration pattern, Set automatic do not disturb period to include my wakeup time, silent switch set to not mute sounds during night time (do not disturb period takes care of that).

iOS 8 but probably also iOS 7

Still no way to turn off vibrate just for alarm?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.