Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to alter Apple mail password

Hi all,

Any help with this would be very welcome.

I want to change my password in Apple mail, but following the advice on several sites does not seem to work.

I have altered the old to the new password in Mail preferences/Accounts/Account Information and Edit SMTP Server list/Advanved sections.

New password appears in keychain under mail and SMTP headings, password is correct here, all old passwords were deleted from Keychain.

Attempting to retrieve mail I get a repeated enter password prompt and a wiggly line next to the inbox.

Option to take accounts online didn't work.

Tried restarting Mail and restarting Mac.

Connection Doctor reports internet connection ok, but unable to log in to SMTP and POP accounts.

If I change back to the original password all works normally again.

Any ideas how to change my Mail password and keep it working??

Thanks,

John

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 3:51 PM

Try going to your providers site and changing it there as well, if it's a POP acct it will not sync like an IMAP.

You contact your provider ofr help if you are having difficulty, as this does not seem to an Apple issue, seeing as if you revert to the old password and works, then it is at the provider end.

So chaning there first the Mail should resolve this.

Hope this helps

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2013 3:51 PM in response to Westerly

Try going to your providers site and changing it there as well, if it's a POP acct it will not sync like an IMAP.

You contact your provider ofr help if you are having difficulty, as this does not seem to an Apple issue, seeing as if you revert to the old password and works, then it is at the provider end.

So chaning there first the Mail should resolve this.

Hope this helps

Unable to alter Apple mail password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.