10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2013 4:27 PM by ginnewt
anne231 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

When trying to open Aperture I now get the following error message:

To use this library, make sure its file permissions are set correctly.

Can someone please tell me how to rebuild my library?

Thanks,

Anne

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • léonie Level 9 Level 9 (63,915 points)

Anne,

what happened, before this error message occured? Have you moved the library to a different drive? Upgraded software? Tried to share your library with another user? Where is the library located?

To repair the permissions on your Aperture library select it in the Finder, hold down the key combination ⌥⌘ firmly, and while holding the keys down double click the Aperture library to launch Aperture in First Aid mode.

Select "Repair Permissions" from the First Aid panel.

Post back, if Aperture will not launch in First Aid mode.

Regards

Léonie

• ginnewt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Help...  I have placed a copy of my current Aperture library on a WD for Mac external hard drive.  When I tried to open it I received the, "Aperture cannot access the library.  To use this library, make sure file permissoins are set correctly".  I then went through the following steps and received the following responses:

option & command keys & double click on the library on the external hard drive:

"Repair Permissions"  told "Aperture cannot access this library, To used this library, make sure its file persmissions are set correctly"  and an additional pop up saying "Checking library consistancy, Could not enforce consisency of files"

"Repair Database" told "Repair needs to upgreade this library" hit "Repair" back to "Aperture cannot access the library.  To use this library, make sure file permissoins are set correctly"

"Rebuild Database" told "Rebuild needs to upgreade this library" hit "Rebuild" told "Unable to write to library "Aperture Library" Check that you have permission to write to the library directory."

Now what do I do?

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (63,915 points)

How is your WD drive formatted? Is it formatted for Mac? MacOS X Extended Journaled? Or does it have a different format?

And have you set the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag for the drive?

When you select your external drive in the Finder and  use the command "File > Get Info" or ⌘I  -you can see the formatting in the "General" brick of the "Info" panel, and set the "Ignore Ownership" flag from the "Sharing & Permissions" brick. How did you move your library to the drive? From the Mac, where you are using it now, or from a different Mac and a different user account?

Screen Shot 2013-11-17 at 23.23.04GMT+1.png

Léonie

I've attached the screen shot of how the WD was formatted. Looks to be as you say it needs to be. 

As for moving the library I took it direct from the computer it is currently one and copied it to the new hard drive.  Clicked on the file in my pictures file and dragged it the the external hard drive file. My computer is getting a tad over full and I was looking to start using external hard drives to hold the libraries.

• firstlaunch Level 3 Level 3 (620 points)

Have you tried logging into a different user to see if you can access the library that way? As Leonie mentions, try repair permissions on both the Aperutre and OS level.

Not exactly sure what you mean, I've never set up different users on my computer and not sure how to log into a different one.

When you say repair permissions on the OS level, is that the same as running the repair disc utilities or is there something else I should be doing?

(Sorry I am nearly illiterate when it comes to trouble shooting)

• firstlaunch Level 3 Level 3 (620 points)

Just log out of the system and sign in as a guest user. See if you can access the library that way.

Open the Disk Utilities from you Utilities fodler in Applications. Select the drive and select Verify/Repair Disk Permissions.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,695 points)

ginnewt wrote:

I've attached the screen shot of how the WD was formatted. Looks to be as you say it needs to be.

No screen shot appeared in your post.

Thanks to all for the infromative suggestions!

I ran the disc utititues on both the back up and my computer and all looked good.  In signing out he computer went blank so I shut it down.  Once restarted I tried opening the aperture library on the back up drive and low and behold it OPENED!!!

Thanks again to all!