Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Small dent on Macbook Pro Retina display screen.

I'm looking for anyone else that has had this problem, ways to either fix it or just what to expect from the Apple Store when I go in. If it has happened to me twice, I feel it can't be too rare. Perhaps just to doccument it as well.

I've had my 15" Macbook Pro with Retina display for 6 months now and other than the screen, I've enjoyed it very much.

Two weeks into having the new computer I found what I thought was a dead pixel (two inches right then two inches up from center) and brought it in. I'd read about such things online and the LG/Samsung debacle but really just wanted my new computer to stay nice and new.

When I got into the store, they told me it was really just a dent in the screen from when dust or something got trapped between the screen and keyboard when it was closed. I thought to myself "Hey, my office is in the basement, maybe something fell down from the bare ceiling and it could have happened." Although I find myself taking very good care of the computer.

They replaced the screen for me under warranty and I instantly went out and got a case, screen cleaner that came with a fine brush to wipe they keyboard off with and a nifty microfiber cloth. Ever since then I've been afraid to close my Macbook Pro and rarely do so. I even asked them what I could do to prevent such things in the future. I was specifically told there wasn't much I could do other than try to ensure it didn't close on any dust. There was no product that would help and they recommended I didn't get a screen protector because it might damage a screen as well. For a laptop it seemed very impractical, but what else was I really supposed to do other than use it as a desktop?

Since then I've moved and no longer work in a basement. Two days ago I noticed the exact same thing appear in very nearly the exact same spot (I didn't document it the first time so I can't be perfectly sure but definitely the ball park of a square cm). I live a ways from an apple store but am visiting home in a week and based off my own experience and others that I have read, they'll replace the screen. I just wanted to esure they had the part since I'll only be in town for the weekend. Apple care had given me a case number and the number of the store, I called to arrange a genius appointment and try to see if they had the part, or at least if they could order it now.

The first man I got on the phone initially said "I don't know why they keep having people call here, let me get a technician for you." A few minutes on hold and I got a woman who claimed very matter of fact "That damage isn't covered, you'll have to pay for the replacement. I just want you to know what to expect when you walk in the store."

This is the same store I had gone to before where they had replaced it without question, I just wanted to try and line everything up before making the trip and having to explain it all when I arrived. I just wish they'd have a plan set out rather than it being up to individual employees.

What can I do to fix this screen? I got this computer based off all the video and photo editing I do and notice it instantly.

Side note, this isn't the same machine that did it before either. When I got my computer back from repair, they had forgotten to plug in the part that has the backlit keyboard. Then when that was fixed, the right side USB didn't function.

The Macbook also had image "ghosting" or retention issues. I hear that can be fixed via software though rather than being just hardware? I don't notice that as much as the little dent however. My display is LP154WT1-SJA1.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 10:53 AM

1 reply

Sep 4, 2014 12:02 PM in response to RileyFoxtrot

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) and just noticed this today in a similar location - from center, mine is about two inches right and one inch up. I thought it was a dead pixel after cleaning it and then realized it was a little dent. The location, when the notebook is closed, corresponds to the flat area between the Command key and Trackpad.

I take very good care of my MacBook and there are certainly no rocks on my keyboard when I close the lid! The screen stands off the keyboard when closed due to the raised trim so this should not have been the cause. I can't think of any other way this might have happened in my situation, though I guess anything is possible.

The effects of this dent are quite visible now in certain circumstances - on a dark background it looks like a little clump of stuck, lit pixels and on a light background it looks like a clump of dead pixels. Too bad, since I bought this, my first Mac, partly for its amazing screen.

Small dent on Macbook Pro Retina display screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.