Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing trouble with large music library

Hi all,

I recently bought the new iMac (yeah!). One of the reasons? iTunes for Windows ***** big time, so I decided it was time for a big upgrade and a big leap towards the Mac platform.

Initially, I imported my whole video library (a couple of hundred movies and several hundred TV shows) and was delighted that - with small problems - home sharing finally was working with my iPad. A couple of days later, I imported my music, which is several thousands songs. As soon as that completed, the video app in iPad stopped being able to load the home shared library!

I re-tested, by removing the songs, trying home sharing again (it worked fine) and then re-added the music and retried (it failed).

So my question is, is anyone else facing similar issues? Am I missing something? Why is the video app in iPad even care what's going on with the music in iTunes?

BTW, in both cases (with and without music) my Apple TV streams my home shared library fine (both video and music), so I'm not sure if it's a problem with iTunes or the iPad. Finally, I have to say that my Apple TV is connected to my wired network, whereas the iPad - obviously - connectes wirelessly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BR

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 4:07 PM

used to be able to connect my iPad to my mac - with home sharing - to watch video.

about a year ago it started to become an issue - long time to connect.

recently it just doesn't work (won't connect).

have discoverred that at least part of the problem is related to the number of music files in my library.

no music files = connects great with ipad for home sharing - to watch video.

lots of music = really slow to connect or will no connect at all.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2014 4:07 PM in response to lexam

used to be able to connect my iPad to my mac - with home sharing - to watch video.

about a year ago it started to become an issue - long time to connect.

recently it just doesn't work (won't connect).

have discoverred that at least part of the problem is related to the number of music files in my library.

no music files = connects great with ipad for home sharing - to watch video.

lots of music = really slow to connect or will no connect at all.

May 30, 2014 3:12 AM in response to lexam

Well, just a quick update on this. I recently moved my music library (iTunes managed on SMB share) and my videos (non-iTunes managed on another SMB share) to a new AFP share. Since then, iTunes works much better. I even managed to view a couple of videos on my iPad and iPhone, albeit the shared library initial load is very very slow. But at least I can confirm that iTunes likes/prefers to manage the library itself and that AFP works far better than SMB (at least on Mavericks).

Home sharing trouble with large music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.