Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running Mac OS 9 Applications

I have some games that I want to run that require OS 9. They have no plans to come out with a version that will run with OS X.

I followed the procedure to install OS 9. I put the Mac OS X Install Disk 2 and followed the instructions. When I try to install the software, I get a message stating that there is no Classic system folder. I get this message:

You do not have a version of Mac OS 9 installed that supports Classic. Install Mac OS 9.1 or later (Classic Support).
For more information about installing this support, click the Help button.

I thought that I had installed Mac OS 9. There is an OS 9 Applications folder and a System Folder on the hard drive that I do not recognize.

Did I miss a step or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

IMac G5 with 2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jul 1, 2006 5:35 PM

7 replies

Jul 2, 2006 8:50 AM in response to Niel

Thanks for replying.

System Preferences does not give me the option to pick a Classic System Folder. It probably would if it were on another volume.

I even went so far as to reinstall Mac OS 9 System Support from the Mac OS X Install Disk 2. Everything appears to be in order. I see a Applications Folder (Mac OS 9) and a System Folder when I look at the Macintosh HD. In that System Folder are items such as MacTCP DNR, Classic Support UI, Mac OS ROM, Scrapbook File, Classic Support, Finder, Login, Panels, Classic, System, System Resources, Appearance, Apple Menu Items, Application Support, ColorSync Profiles, Control Panels, Control Strop Modules, Extensions, Favorites, Fonts, Help, Internet Plug-Ins, Internet Search Sites, Language & Region Support, Preferences, Scripting Additions, Startup Items, and Text Encoding.

If this is the Classic System Folder, My iMac G5 is not seeing it for whatever reason.

Do you know how to correct this problem? I would think that I should be able to install my games now.

Jul 10, 2006 10:39 PM in response to Robbie Goodwin

Has there been any resoluiton to this issue? I just bought a used G5 running OSX 10.4.7 and need to run some OS9 apps but have been getting similar results to what Chris has described. Classic apps won't open, I get the message that Classic can't open because OS9 is not installed. When I try to install OS9.1 from CD the computer tells me that OS9.1 is already installed and I shoud upgrade to OS9.2. If I try to install anyway I get the same messages as Chris. I try to boot from the OS9 disk and computer still starts in OSX. And now when I try to start the compuetr normally it first gives me a blinking square with a globe inside it, then a blinking folder alternating between a "?" and a Mac smiley face before finally starting correctly. What is going on? What have I screwed up and how can I fix it? Help!!!

G5 2.0 Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Jul 10, 2006 10:49 PM in response to tomellis

I get the message that Classic can't open because OS9 is not installed. When I try to install OS9.1 from CD the computer tells me that OS9.1 is already installed and I shoud upgrade to OS9.2.

Open your hard disk in the Finder and check if there's a folder named System Folder; if there is, follow the instructions I posted above. If not, use these ones to install Classic on your computer.

I try to boot from the OS9 disk and computer still starts in OSX.

Your computer is not capable of booting into Mac OS 9.

And now when I try to start the compuetr normally it first gives me a blinking square with a globe inside it, then a blinking folder alternating between a "?" and a Mac smiley face before finally starting correctly.

Hold down the X key the next time you start up your computer, or use the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences to select your hard disk as the startup disk.

(14114)

Jul 12, 2006 4:51 PM in response to tomellis

I try to boot from the OS9 disk and computer
still starts in OSX.

Hi spearchucker,

I strongly believe that the G4 was the latest Apple machine to BOOT MacOS 9. On G5s you may use the Classic Environment, but you may not boot OS 9 from a HD or CD.

You may read the documentation that came with your Operating System Install/Restore DVD to selectively install/reinstall only OS9 and Additional Software (Microsoft Office trial, Quicken, etc, etc)

Good Luck,
Michael

MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16 Mac OS X (10.4.7) 2 Gig RAM

Jul 13, 2006 11:03 PM in response to mbraun1973

Well, I networked to my old G3 and pulled the system folder for Classic into the G5 hard drive. Then I was able to start Classic and run my old programs. I then loaded an update disk for OS9.2.2, and the G5 recognized it and allowed me to update my older version of OS9. So it looks like the problem is solved. Seems a bit odd that Tiger is so unfriendly to OS9. I actually visited the "Genius" at the local Apple Store before finding this solution (mostly from reading other posts on these forums) and she had absolutely no idea whether OSX Tiger would even work with Classic. I'm very glad I've discovered you folks, I suspect I'll be back again soon for more advice!

G5 2.0 Mac OS X (10.4.7)

G5 2.0 Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Running Mac OS 9 Applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.