Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect printer with linksys print server

How do I connect my MacBook Air to a wireless print server (Linksys) connected to my home network via wireless (N) router. My printer is not wireless but the print server works fine with my Windows computers. When I connect the Mac to the printer by USB it works as well so there is no issue with printer drivers.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 8:57 PM

2 replies

Oct 11, 2013 9:14 PM in response to gracedc

A printer connected to a Mac's USB port and the same printer connected to your wireless network may as well be two different printers, as far as the Mac is concerned.

Create another entry for the print server - connected printer in System Preferences. To do that follow these instrucions:

OS X Mountain Lion: Set up an IP printer

Your configuration in System Preferences > Print & Scan may resemble something like this:

User uploaded file

"Address" must be one available on your subnet. "Queue" may or may not be required for your Linksys print server. "Name" is any human - readable name you choose. "Location" is completely optional. Verify "Print Using" (or "Use" in Mountain Lion) is the correct driver for your printer. If it not automatically selected, select "Select Printer Software..." and choose the correct driver from the list.

The following KB article may help: OS X Mountain Lion: Troubleshoot a network printer

Oct 12, 2013 6:45 AM in response to gracedc

You didn't tell us the printer model.

It's important, because all printer manufacturers (brother is only exception) provide USB-only drivers for their USB-only printer models. This is one of the few things that Window$ does better than OS X.

You may be more successful adding the printer using IP > HP Jetdirect, because it uses a standard port number (automatically setup by OS X) rather than a queue name.

connect printer with linksys print server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.