Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete photos off Photo Stream?

I have disabled and enabled Photo Stream on all devices (Macbook, IPad and IPhone) however no matter what I select / edit / deselect it doesn't give me the option of deleting them.

I use ICloud and obviously these photos have previously been taken off my IPhone and then synched with my other devices, however, not that I have disabled photo stream (but keep other ICloud option) there seems to be a permanent stamp of these photos in Photo Stream that I can't delete.

Can someone tell me how to delete them off my IPad and IPhone please.

iPhone 4S

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 11:48 PM

14 replies

Oct 12, 2013 2:56 AM in response to adam1964reed

This document describes, how deleting from a photo stream is supposed to work:

How to delete photos from My Photo Stream

In which album are you seeing the photos that you cannot delete? Are they in a shared photo stream? Have they been edited?

And what is your IOS version?

and obviously these photos have previously been taken off my IPhone and then synched with my other devices

How have they been synced? Photos synced to your device from your computer using iTunes can only be deleted by syncing again, with the album/events deselected.

Regards

LĂ©onie

Oct 12, 2013 3:11 AM in response to léonie

Hi LeonieDF,

Looking on my IPhone it is called Photo Stream (not My Photo Stream) and says "113 from My Computer". However, I have cleared the Pictures folder in Mac HD and none of these photos exist on my laptop so they are residing wholly and solely on the IPhone. The same photos (113 of them) also reside permanently on my IPad. I am running the latest IOS7 for IPhone and IPad. No matter what I try to do to access "Photo Stream" there is no ability to delete these photos out of both devices. Photos and Photo Stream are turned on both devices and ICloud is active so not sure what to do.

Oct 12, 2013 3:55 AM in response to adam1964reed

Looking on my IPhone it is called Photo Stream (not My Photo Stream) and says "113 from My Computer". However, I have cleared the Pictures folder in Mac HD and none of these photos exist on my laptop so they are residing wholly and solely on the IPhone. The same photos (113 of them) also reside permanently on my IPad. I am running the latest IOS7 for IPhone and IPad. No matter what I try to do to access "Photo Stream" there is no ability to delete these photos out of both devices. Photos and Photo Stream are turned on both devices and ICloud is active so not sure what to do.

If it were the regular Photo stream, the album would be called "My Photo Stream", so it is not rhe Photo Stream you are looking at, but a regular album or an album syned from your mac.

Have you ever synced the iPhone and iPad wit your computer using iTunes? This really looks like the album "Photo Stream" is an album that has been synced to your iDevices using iTunes. Then they can only be removed by syncing again with iTunes, selecting to sync photos, but deselecting all photo albums in iTunes.

If it is a regular album, however, try to find the photos in your camera roll and delete them there. Then they will also vanish from the album. And photos, that have been edited, cannot be deleted at all, unless you revert them to original.

Oct 15, 2013 10:06 PM in response to adam1964reed

Hi again Leonie DF,

Thank you so much for all your advice and help, however, it has not solved my problem. I have never synched my photos taken on my IPhone that have then transferred via ICloud to my IPad via ITunes. I even accessed my ITunes account and there are no photos to be seen there. By the way the photos I refer to (locked in folder called "Photo Stream") were taken prior to me recently getting a Macbook so with everything turned "on" (Photo Stream, Photo Sharing, ICloud) across all 3 devices, I STILL cant edit/delete the photos off my IPhone or IPad. They also will not share across with my Mac. It's like they are permanently stuck in limbo across my two devices. So I went to the Apple Store in my local area today, umm, basically useless. They did everything I did and still couldn't delete them off. They said they only way will be a factory restore on both devices, a bit extreme as I lose all my apps etc. Looks like I am stuck with them.

Oct 16, 2013 5:58 AM in response to adam1964reed

Adam, I still do not see where this album appears on your iPad/iPhone. Do you see it in the Photos.app app or the iPhone.app?

(locked in folder called "Photo Stream")

Where does this album appear exactly?

• If you are seeing it in the Photos.app, does it appear in Photos, Shared, or Albums?
    User uploaded file
  • And if you are seeing it in iPhoto, is in in the "Albums", "Photos", "Events", or "Journals" tab? Does it look like a book or like an envelope, and what color? Arge there any badges on the album?
    User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 29, 2014 1:00 AM in response to léonie

I am unable to delete my iPod PhotoStream photos via my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit PC.

I am deleting them from Windows Explorer ---> My Photo Stream, and currently have just 67 photos on the PC.

However, on my iPod touch 4th gen (iOS 6.1.5) still shows 140 photos.

Do I need to force a sync or something? How to force it?

NOTE: I have been unable to ever sync my iPod touch over WiFi, not sure why - I can only sync via the USB cable. Maybe if I get iTunes to sync over WiFi, the photos will then get deleted?
If so, how do I get iTunes to sync over WiFi?

As mentioned above - using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit, all Updates installed. iTunes is version 11.1.4.62.

Help??

Feb 9, 2014 4:57 PM in response to adam1964reed

After hours of trying to delete this mystery photo stream album I have succeeded!

My problems where that I had one photo stream album which was on my phone with pictures I didn't want anymore. After trying all the above and watching endless youtube videos I managed to make it disappear with none of them techniques. When I turned photo stream on/off a second photo stream album woudl be created, much to my annoyance. I hooked my phone up to itunes and went on to the photos options. This was UNTICKED. After synicng the phone 4 times to make sue this was not the problem I realised that this box MUST be TICKED. Choose the photo stream option on the drop down. Sounds odd, but find this album on your computer by doing a search. Delete all the pictures in it and sync itunes with your phone. It will ask if you want to delete the previous pictures uploaded - say yes!! Anyway this was my problem/solution, hope it works for other people.

Aug 16, 2014 2:12 AM in response to adam1964reed

In fact, simple deletion cannot permanently erase all data from your iPad device, it is till recoverable by some professional data recovery program. Performing a "deletion" operation on the iPhone does not delete personal data from the device. In fact, mail, contacts, and various other data remain intact on the device after a deletion, making the process unsuitable as a preparatory measure for iPhone resale or service. Ii is highly recommend using iPad Data Eraser app, here is the tutorial: how to permanently erase all data from iPad without recovery.

Sep 21, 2014 1:42 PM in response to PalC7

🙂 This is the solution to remove old Photo Streams. THANK YOU! PalC7 🙂

1. First delete all of the photos from MY Photo Stream on your phone (or save them somewhere off your phone, like on your computer).

2. Connect your phone to your computer and open iTunes.

3. Select your iPhone (near upper right corner).

4. Go to the Photos tab.

5. Check mark "Sync Photos from...".

6. Choose "Selected Folders" and check mark "MY Photo Steam".

This will remove ALL of your photos and sync with your folder selection, which will have 0 photos in it as you deleted them from the first step.

There are 0 photos on my phone! No albums! No old Photo Streams! Nothing! Hooray! A fresh start!

Sep 1, 2015 12:44 AM in response to adam1964reed

The way I got the Photo Stream (not My Photo Stream) to delete the photos is to go to Settings > iCloud > Photos > Turn off My Photo Stream. In my case, it was already turned off, BUT I turned iCloud Photo Library ON, and it will ask you if you would want to remove the synced photos & voila! Hope this helps. After you turned it on & it deletes the photos, just turn the iCloud Photo Library and My Photo Stream OFF again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.