Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to keep photos in folders when removing from iOS?

I usually use Preview on Mac to import photos and delete them from the iPad. I've started putting photos in folders but this organization is not maintained on import. Is there a way to maintain this when importing? Or even better: is there a way to leave certain folders on the iPad and import/delete the rest?

Of the photos that have been imported, is the folder data maintained somewhere so I can reorganize them? Maybe I need to find a better method of importing & deleting.

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 5:38 AM

arphaus wrote:

I usually use Preview on Mac to import photos and delete them from the iPad.

iPhoto, Image Capture, Aperture...but I have never heard of using Preview to import photos to the Mac.

Folders/albums that you create in the Photos App on the iPad are for local organization on the device itself and will not import to your Mac. These folders/albums do not contain copies of the photos, but merely use pointers to the photos to make the pictures appear in these local albums. If you create new albums in the photos app and try to remove the photos from the camera roll, they will be removed from the folders as well.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2013 5:38 AM in response to arphaus

arphaus wrote:

I usually use Preview on Mac to import photos and delete them from the iPad.

iPhoto, Image Capture, Aperture...but I have never heard of using Preview to import photos to the Mac.

Folders/albums that you create in the Photos App on the iPad are for local organization on the device itself and will not import to your Mac. These folders/albums do not contain copies of the photos, but merely use pointers to the photos to make the pictures appear in these local albums. If you create new albums in the photos app and try to remove the photos from the camera roll, they will be removed from the folders as well.

Oct 14, 2013 4:58 AM in response to Demo

Thanks for clarifying that. Is Apple's expectation that we would not take anything off? It seems strangely limited for the organization to be only little more than a playlist. Maybe if we are separating pix, saving edited versions etc it would be better to use Dropbox.

Preview, btw - is very quick & easy for mass import & deleting off the iDevice.

How to keep photos in folders when removing from iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.