Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No bootable device - Please insert boot disk and press any key

So I tried all yesterday to get bootcamp to work, and this is what happens. I get through all the steps of bootcamp with my USB, and when it restarts, it comes up with an error on a black screen: "No bootable device - Please insert boot disk and press any key". I checked that I have all the support files downloaded, but it just doesn't work. How can I fix this so that it recognizes my USB? I found this thread, but when I follow the first command that the answer does in the terminal, it doesn't work. Does anyone know the solution to get my computer to recognize my USB? Or be able to fix that command in the thread I linked? I'm on a Macbook Pro 2011 running 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, trying to install Windows 7 64-bit with a USB drive. Please HELP!

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 5:38 AM

2 replies

Oct 12, 2013 10:18 AM in response to Darthnix

Since your MacBook Pro shipped with an Optickal Drive, Boot Camp it looking to that optical drive for the Windows bootable install media. My guess is that you "hacked" your configuration to get the USB installation options as they weren't there on teh stock Mountain Lion install on a Late 2011 MBP.

In the many threads about people who have done what you seem to be trying you will see thant some claim that just putting a disc in the optical drive will allow them to continue the installation from the USB stick. That might work for you, or it might not. If not, just use the Optical drive for your installation.

No bootable device - Please insert boot disk and press any key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.