Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot import any MP3 Files into itunes

I am running latest iTiunes 11.1.1

I cannot import any MP3 files into itunes whether I try and drag and drop ur do "File then add to library"

It sees the MP3 file fine and looks like it's allowing the drag and drop into a new playlist but then nothing appears in the playlist.

I've seen on some threads that people found their files in other playlists etc but when I sort my whole library by date added or search on the file name there is nothing to be seen.

Any help or advice would be appreciated and I think I've checked every thread on this topic right now but no-one seems to have the exact same problem

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 6:14 AM

15 replies

Oct 12, 2013 8:01 AM in response to kennyedge

What kind of mp3 file is it? There are possibly two issues. 1) the file was not added 2) it has a different id3 tag and it's difficult to find.

Regarding 1) If it hasn't been added, use another program like Quicktime or VLC and see if it plays. Also check its id3 tag to see its displayed name.

Regarding 2) Create a smart playlist selecting "date added" and "in the last" "1 day" -- or longer -- and see if it shows up in it. Likewise, select your entire library in list view, and sort the "Date added" column - check the item in Show View Options - and see if it's there.

Oct 12, 2013 3:54 PM in response to kennyedge

Instead of dragging & dropping import the MP3 into iTunes. Beware that it may place audiobooks and other forms of audio in Music, then you edit the info in Get Info. The Search Library may not find it, because with some titles they drop the leading "The". Below are the changes I make to move audiobooks to Books and show up on the iDevice as an Audiobook:

Media Kind: Audiobook

Remember position: Yes

Skip when shuffling: Yes

After you click Ok, they will dissappear from Music in iTunes on the Mac, and move to Books.

User uploaded file

I forgot to add, right now people are having problems syncing non-music with iTunes 11.1 and 11.1.1.

Oct 14, 2013 11:41 AM in response to MacinNW_Brent

Have you checked to see where your iTunes is pointing for it's library? You can do that by, on your Mac, going to iTunes> Prefs > Advanced (tab)

You can change the library it uses there, or if you search Apple Support you will find an article, or by holding down the Option key while starting iTunes.

What I have seen is if you have a remote library, that it can not reach, it will create a new one in your home folder. Since the import from the desktop copy of the audio file, it might still be an issue with the library in the Dropbox server. I would have to guess since I don't have or want a Dropbox account.

My library has been on a Drobo (RAID) on my home network for years. Everything worked find up to and including iTunes 11.0.5.

Oct 15, 2013 1:17 PM in response to kennyedge

I don't have solution, just a possible explanation of what might be happening.

What I was saying is to check what iTunes library, iTunes is using, and iTunes does not like using remote libraries, or split libraries.

I have had to deal with iTunes not liking my library on an external drive that is hardwired to my Mac.

I'm just offering you some information, that you might be able to use to figure out what is going on.

I had to let this percolate a bit in my brain. The below may be the issue you are running into.

Could this mp3 file have any DRM restrictions on it? iTunes 11.1.x is having serious issues with DRM, right now. I see that Kevin Nations is a motivational speaker, and I would guess he would put DRM restriction on his "tapes". If so, you will not get any error messages, just a failed attempt.

I currently can not sync audiobooks to my iPhones if I try to include a Audible.com book, because of the DRM. I can not transfer into iTunes any Overdrive audiobooks, if I use Overdrive Media Console, as it adds DRM restrictions to the book.

Oct 17, 2013 7:14 AM in response to MacinNW_Brent

MacinNW_Brent

Thanks so much for putting the effort in I really appreciate it.

The MP3 is a recording I made. Also as i mentioned any MP3 file that I try and import will not import even if it is a 10 second recording of me sneezing so there are no DRM issues.

I think this is probably just an unfixable issue right now because no-one anywhere seems to know the answer.

So I either buy a new mac or start using my PC again

Oct 17, 2013 1:30 PM in response to kennyedge

kennyedge

I'll give it one last shot. Are you trying to sync any DRM restricted files, especially audio files, at the same time as you are trying to sync your selfmade mp3?

There is an issue right now, where iTunes 11.1.x is filing to sync it there are any DRM restricted files in the sync. At least any DRM restricted files audio files.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks. I can not use iTunes to sync either books from Audible.com or Overdrive. For those I have to use their apps to download the books directly to the iPhone. Non-DRM restricted audio files will sync properly.

I have reported this to AppleCare tier 2, Audible and OverDrive. Hopefully, the later two will put some pressure on Apple. And hopefully, it is also affecting Apples audiobooks sales, since Audible provides that service for them.

Oct 18, 2013 5:55 PM in response to kennyedge

I think your issue is the actual Dropbox location and its sync feature. See this article on how to create a symbolic link for the iTunes Library file. This fix involves using a Terminal command, I recommend you do a full backup using Time Machine or any other software capable of a full system restore, at the minimum make sure to make a backup of your library files before trying it out.

Jun 9, 2014 12:43 AM in response to kennyedge

I changed the extention from .mp3 to .m4a. and dragged the file in without a problem.

MP3 is MP3 encoded, M4A is AAC encoded

If you do not see the .mp3 extention, look for Finder Preferences under the Finder menu. Under the Advanced Tab --> Show all filename extentions. User uploaded file

Use m4a....

Opening the file in Quicktime and exporting it, preserves the.mp3 extention, but adds the AAC bit on the file, so iTunes will import it. I assume Garageband does the same, and lets the iTunes know the file is really AAC encoded audio

Cannot import any MP3 Files into itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.