Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Edited iPhone 4s pictures do not appear edited when viewed/transferred on a Windows PC.

Hello All,

When I transfer pictures that are taken and edited on my iphone 4s (using the default camera app) to a Windows PC, these pictures do appear to be edited. I wish to edit the pictures on my camera (quicker), rather than transfer them and edit them on my Windows PC.

By the way, I transfer my photos to my PC simply by opening the iPhone on my PC as a drive, not via iTunes. Must I use iTunes to transfer edited pictures to my computer?

Thank you!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 8:36 AM

19 replies

Oct 13, 2013 9:12 AM in response to shrys

Thank you Shrys. Using Snapseed, then importing does do the trick.

Always knew Apple doesn't like to play with others, but this is taking it to the extreme. I believe my imported videos from the Apple camera app hold their edits (trim)...wonder why photos do not.

Anyways, thanks for the workaround!

Apr 23, 2014 1:28 PM in response to Community User

I love taking and making beautiful photo's every day and was totally sold my iPad and iPhone on the basis of the picture quality and ability to edit on the fly. I have over 600 edited photo's on my devices and these reverted to the originals once I saved them to my PC. This is truely very poor - is it Apple's business strategy to trick consumers into purchases with promises of ease, beauty and synchronisation, then bully them into more purchases because none of this works well without purchasing the entire Apple suite?

Seriously Apple, what use is the Apple photo editing on my iPhone if the edits are not saved when I save them?

Jul 24, 2014 12:13 AM in response to Community User

Hi cc04 & others,

You can have edited photos in PC (maybe in Mac too)

You will need the following. Worked in mentioned version. You can also try in your present version. If not, update your software.

iOS 7.1.2 | iPhoto Ver: 2 (It's Free) | iTunes 11.3 | PC: Windows 8.1 Pro

1) In iPhoto app in iPhone, share your selected photos or all edited photos (This is under Albums tab | Edited by Default Camera Effects or Through iPhoto). In Share menu, it has many option like Mail, Facebook, Message, etc. Select iTunes. After you select photos, Share to iTunes pop up, select Export.

2) In iTunes in PC(Mine Windows 8.1 Pro), select your device (Right Column down the Menu Bar). Under Apps tab, scroll down for File Sharing. Select iPhoto, now under iPhoto Documents (Right Column). You will see SHARED PHOTOS Folder (Folder Name with Date & Time when you Export in Step 1). Select the folder, Click Save to.., select the folder in your PC.

Now your edited Photos will be there in PC as in your device.

I hope it worked for the most of the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch(4th or 5th G).

Mine: iPhone 4s 8GB

feel free to comment.

Be-Joy,

BIKER

Jul 26, 2014 9:51 AM in response to shrys

Snapseed is not a real solution. Cumbersome & awkward way to transfer edited photos from an iphone to a PC. You ultimately only sharing with Google, FaceBook, etc or emailing the pics to yourself. Plus the software costs money, it isn't free, and is ultimately a poor band-aid for something that the Apple product should already do. Customers spent $400-$800 on the phone to begin with, which has a camera & built-in editing tools that do you absolutely no good, because only the original photos can be transferred to PC. Simply ridiculous. Plus the support, pricing, and product info for SnapSeed is poor. A German company that is using Google+ as its website, and has inconsistent & missing info.

I've tried all the PC photo transfer software for iPhone like SnapSeed, TunesGo, etc. They all cost around $30-$40 and up, and ultimate just create more work with awkward & cumbersome sharing, which still is several steps away from truly transferring edited photos. Plus many of these suggested programs only transfer the original photos anyway, so its a wild goose chase.These are not 'solutions' and are crappy workarounds for shortcomings in iOS & Apple products. To compensate for functionality that should already be in the product.

If going the file sharing route, DropBox is way easier, better, & free. Its a much cleaner & faster way to bulk upload edited photos to DropBox, then bulk download those edited photos from DropBox directly to a folder on your PC.

That said, all of this is just ludicrous. Only supporting transferring the original unedited photos to PC, taken by the iphone camera, yet those same photos edited using built-in iphone functionality cannot be transferred to PC, is simple insane. I don't know who or how someone at Apple thought this was acceptable or a good idea, but it is one of many really really poor decisions and shortcomings with the iPhone, iPad, and the management software/support.

Apple really needs to fix this and support transferring edited photos to PC, just like the originals. In fact, who asked Apple to save the originals anyway? I didn't do a 'save as', I edited the original photo. The edited version should be the ONLY version of that photo on my phone, You can't even access the unedited original from the phone itself. So whats the point of saving the original? If a user edits a photo, that's the version they want, not the original...!

Come on Apple....seriously....?

Aug 26, 2014 9:08 PM in response to bikerbns

You made my day/week/year. It's true there is no other easy and simple way of transferring your edited pics to PC. It's so unlike Apple. I can't believe that they didn't think of it and still didn't notice or are ignoring people's disappointments on this front.

Well, I just wanted to say that this solution worked for me too. Very good and specific instructions from bikerbns.

Cheers!

Mar 19, 2015 3:14 AM in response to Community User

i am really bummed that i lost over a thousand edits of my photos as i too much prefer to edit on the fly. oy!! here i thought i was thinking it thru as i didn't want to edit in two places. apple, i am way ticked. you're building that circular monolith in CA so don't you have enough money already?? thanks shrys for info re snapseed or instagram--will use in future. sympathies to all other photo bugs who got caught in this trap and lost their work.

Edited iPhone 4s pictures do not appear edited when viewed/transferred on a Windows PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.