Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics issues after install and reboot

Hi

My MacbookAir (2011, Lion, 13", 1.8G i7, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB)started having issues with graphics: with some programs, the area where graphics should be dispalayed are black, this happens in

-Images in iPhoto (thumbnails displays OK)

-Skype video call (thumbnail of myself as well as remote party)

-Firefox, you tube Videos (also do get some sound but it takes a few seconds before it comes out and it keeps stopping)

-iTunes videos

Also the whole HTML pages of Safari flicker, when opening a new tab, displaying the mosaic of topsides.

When i use the HDMI out, the display on my TV exhibits mangled colourful straight lines.

These seems to work

-Photobooth

-Facetime

-YouTube videos via Chrome, but the quality is poor as it seems to display at a very low refresh rate.

-QuickTime videos. (H.264, Animation, MPEG-4, 3GPP, 3GPP2, MPEG 2, Sorenson)

I first tried reinstalling the OS by moving up to mountain lion, this did not fix the problem.(it was just an OS update, not a clean and reinstall)

I then did a full clean (erasing my main disk) and re-install of Mountain Lion and the problem was gone....until I rebooted.

Before the reboot all the problems were gone, after the reboot, they all reappeared.

I then did another clean and OS reinstall, but this time i did not try installing firefox(nor flash), skype or any other 3rd party software.

Safari was working fine just after the install, and the flickering appeared after a reboot.

Can anybody shed some light on what is going on, or share some insights on which graphics APIs the various apps use for me to understand the problem a bit better.

TIA

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 7:33 PM

its very clear your GPU / logic board is going bad quick.

Contact Apple for full diagnostic / repair of your GPU fault on the logic board of your Air.

😊

3 replies

Graphics issues after install and reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.