Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import an old iphoto library from an external hard disk while keeping my editing and organization in tact?

I am running iPhoto '08 on a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel C2D (MacBook Pro 3,1). I backed up my hard drive contents onto an external hard drive, then formatted my computer and installed Mountain Lion. I then re-installed iPhoto '08 and ran all the updates. Now, I would like to import my old library from the external disk onto my computer without losing my editing and organization; however, when I select "import to library" from iPhoto, the old iPhoto library is not a selectable option.

I know how to "show package contents" and import directly from the Original and Modified folders, but I don't want to lose my organization. Can I simply drag the content of those folders into my new Original and Modified folders? Will iPhoto read that correctly?

I tried to open the old library from the external disk, thinking to export them all to a folder and import from there, but that just opened my new library and none of the old photos were imported or available.

I'm running out of ideas and would appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks!!

iPhoto '08, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 11:33 AM

You don't import it.

Just drag the iphoto Library from the external to the Pictures Folder.

Then open it:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

Never import one Library to another. Every version and thumbnail is imported like a distinct photo, you lose all your Albums, Keywords etc., the link between Original and Previews is destroyed, the non-destructive editing feature is ruined and so on. In summary: it's mess.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2013 11:33 AM in response to tjholcomb1225

You don't import it.

Just drag the iphoto Library from the external to the Pictures Folder.

Then open it:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

Never import one Library to another. Every version and thumbnail is imported like a distinct photo, you lose all your Albums, Keywords etc., the link between Original and Previews is destroyed, the non-destructive editing feature is ruined and so on. In summary: it's mess.

Mar 12, 2014 12:34 PM in response to Yer_Man

I was able to copy the original library which I had stored on EHD #1 successfully to my MBP and it started the updating process to be compatible with the newer version of iPhoto so thumbs up for that. 🙂

Now that I have the library that I want to use, I do notice that my pictures folder does in fact have 2 iPhoto libraries even though I followed your instructions.... Is it safe to just trash the iPhoto library that I don't wish to use?

How do I import an old iphoto library from an external hard disk while keeping my editing and organization in tact?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.