Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an ideal image size in iBooks Author?

Over the years, I have used various cameras and scanners collecting images in my research. I just checked a random sample of the sizes of several images I have in iPhoto.

The sizes of the originals runs the gamut: I have some as small as 468 x 624 pixels=119KB, to huge ones up to as large as 7000 x 5096=7.2 MB.

The book I am planning will eventually contains hundreds of photos, but I fear running into the 2.0 Gig cap for the book--which would interefere with the size limit to be sold on the iBooks bookstore.

Can anyone point me to a page of standards, defining what optimum sizes are for my image files? I know that it is best to complete any editing on the images prior to importing them into iBA.

I want the photos to be able to be zoomable to full page on iPads and MacBooks with Retina displays. I want to make the flies smaller, but still maintian the integrity of the images.

Also, is there an ideal resolution? A friend suggested 72 dpi. Many of the scans are at 300dpi.

I may have to serialize the book and divide the book into separate editions, but I'd really rather not do it that way.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 6.1.4, Pages

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 1:34 PM

Optimizing performance in your iBooks Author books [ support.apple.com/kb/HT5117 ]

Remember, best to use jpegs for digital photos and pngs for vector images, etc.

>A friend suggested 72 dpi. Many of the scans are at 300dpi.

Anything over 72 is wasted. As always, test your content in your book on a device to confirm any recipe you may come up with.

But yes, if you're committed to content that tasks the 2gb ceiling, plan ahead for serailized editions.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2013 1:34 PM in response to Bisonwerks

Optimizing performance in your iBooks Author books [ support.apple.com/kb/HT5117 ]

Remember, best to use jpegs for digital photos and pngs for vector images, etc.

>A friend suggested 72 dpi. Many of the scans are at 300dpi.

Anything over 72 is wasted. As always, test your content in your book on a device to confirm any recipe you may come up with.

But yes, if you're committed to content that tasks the 2gb ceiling, plan ahead for serailized editions.

Oct 12, 2013 7:52 PM in response to Bisonwerks

Maximum single image size for iBa is 3.2 megapixels or 2048 x 1536 ( switch for potrait ) resolution can be 72dpi upwards depending on what you seek to achieve and if you allow zooming.

Any image editor you have ( I think Gimp is still a free download) will do the job and a makeshift is the lowly "Preview" image viewer on every iMac.

If you have multiple images on a page ie 4 images you can still use the full size image or edit them down to 1024 x 768 or even 512 x 384 and they will still be OK.

If you need to edit content to meet the 2 gig max, it may help if you make notes of which images need to be what size to suit your needs and edit them accordingly. Better to do it at the start than fire fighting mid way.

Oct 13, 2013 6:40 PM in response to Bisonwerks

If you intend to make more than one book, then the possible need to buy other software may be essential.

If the books sell, then eventually they pay back the investment.

A free option is the Preview on all Macs, it allows more or less the same image colour/ exposure/contrast/etc as the image editor in iBA and it allows to to resize images.

I use Photoshop or PS Elements to bulk process all the images I set up for the next book and after I often just use the preview to tweak colour etc or crop down. Its easier than opining an app and then searwching to open an image. With Preview all I do is click teh images and it opens.

I do a think iBA would benefit from having a resize/crop tool added.. I have submitted Feedback to that effect...

Is there an ideal image size in iBooks Author?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.