Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exploding iPhone?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

A couple months ago I put my old iPhone 3GS away in the drawer where old electronics go to die in our house... I'd used it for several years, my daugher had used it for a year... it had served well and we'd moved on.

The drawer is inside our house and nowhere near heat nor water/moisture.

Today I opened the drawer to find something and instead discovered this -- see attached photos. The phone split apart at the seams, apparently from the inside out. The glass is intact. The back is intact except that what used to be a small crack by the earphone jack is now a bit bigger. The whole thing is just blown out.

I'm assuming maybe it's somehow battery related?????

Anybody seen an iPhone do this before?

I'm glad that my house didn't burn down, if in fact whatever blew the phone apart involved heat.....

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 3:50 PM

1 reply

Exploding iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.