Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshots - they're going to my Dropbox and I want them on my desktop. Help!

The other day when I took a screenshot I got asked if I wanted it to go to my Dropbox and I stupidly said "yes".

I want my screenshots to go to my desktop (where I can immediately see them). I've been trying suggestions I've found online - using Terminal to issue the following command:

“defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ”
Drag and drop the “Screenshots” folder that you created into the white area of the Terminal application window; this will automatically insert the file path of the Screenshots folder destination to the command Terminal line.

But it hasn't worked to return the screenshots to my desktop (at least a folder on my desktop called "Screenshots").

How do I get screenshots back to my Desktop?

I can't find anything in Dropbox to revert the shots to my desktop.

iPhone 5, iOS 6, iCloud

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 7:51 PM

In the Dropbox app (from its menubar icon) click Preferences, then Import, and turn off "Save screenshots to Dropbox".

Matt

18 replies

May 14, 2014 1:34 PM in response to Matt Clifton

So when you say,"In the Dropbox app (from its menubar icon)" what does this mean? We have been having a terrible time with the Dropbox (trying to add a separate, different account on on computer). We kept getting solution instructions that say to click on the dropbox from the menu bar, but there is no dropbox icon on the bar at the bottom of the screen. The only place the dropbox icon shows up is in the finder. Going to apps and right clicking Open doesn't seem to open anything helpful either. Is there a way to do this from the website log in? Thanks

Oct 24, 2014 7:01 AM in response to jmn111

For what it's worth here's are screen shots of what to do. And yes, the screenshots went to my desktop, not Dropbox.

Step 1. Click on Dropbox icon at the top of your screen (even though it looks like i'm clicking on the one cloud icon)

Step 2. Go to the Cog at the bottom right and click on it to bring up the Preference option

Step 3. Click Preference

Step 4. Un-click "Share screenshots using Dropbox (and hey presto, screenshots now appear on your desktop again)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If you want them to go to a folder on your desktop then do this:

Step 1. Create a folder on the desktop called Screenshots

Step 2. Open Applications / Utilities / Terminal

Step 3. Type in this line exactly

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location Users/TheDays/Desktop/Screenshots

Note: My Mac is called "TheDays" so where you see this, replace it with your Mac's name

Step 4. Hit return

Step 5. Log off your Mac, log back in and hey presto again

Here's a screenshot of it

User uploaded file

Good luck

D

Screenshots - they're going to my Dropbox and I want them on my desktop. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.