Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Even though Quicktime plays my 60 fps 1080p *.mts files, iPhoto rejects them, no matter what advice from Apple support is applied

iPhoto ignores video from my Panasonic DMC-SZ30 digicam. The format is AVCHD in *.mts as described in Apple's own support help on the topic. Yet nothing happens. The import by drag and drop they suggest is not possible as the package and/or files in question are greyed out / disabled. Not cool, since 60fps at 1080p is standard now. Any help? Just wait? How long? Ironically, Quicktime has no problem whatsoever to play the files. So this cannot be a complicated issue to resolve, just some minor plumbing adjustments in iPhoto.

What is the best video converter to use for iPhoto purposes without information loss?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Panasonic DMC-ZS30

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 12:02 AM

5 replies

Oct 13, 2013 12:08 AM in response to BMSJ256

Why are you using iPhoto for AVCHD material? You shoot in AVCHD if you want to edit, and that's done in iMovie. If you're not editing then there's no pont in shooting in that format, and you're beter off using one of the other formats offered by your camera.

AVCHD is also complex to work with, and not every version is suported.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5251

Oct 19, 2013 11:27 PM in response to Yer_Man

Why am I using AVCHD? Because it is the only format the camera is offering that has TV resolution. Ultimately I want to watch all my movies on TV, so why use a format (MP4) that is only available on the camera with different resolutions?

Also, of course I want to edit, but still the content belongs in iPhoto FIRST, iMovie later. iPhoto is where I archive and browse everything. IMovie is only ever used to cut and paste pieces together. Besides, I never use iMovie, only the good old iMovie HD. iMovie is one of those products that Apple made much, much worse after having a better version in stock. (iTunes and Final Cut would be other examples of unforced self-destruction.)

Even though Quicktime plays my 60 fps 1080p *.mts files, iPhoto rejects them, no matter what advice from Apple support is applied

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.