Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic pro x splitting keyboard

Can anyone help me set me setup keyboard, Trying to set up so it plays strings on left side and guitar on right hand side.

System logic pro X

Keyboard m audio keystudio

Tried looking on YouTube:

cheers mark

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 1:42 AM

8 replies

Oct 13, 2013 7:35 AM in response to tony1111

Its from another forum and thank Eli Krantzberg for it!

Have a nice day

Here's a quick and dirty way of doing it without having to deal with the Environment:

1. Load in your two instruments on two software instrument tracks.

2. Set them both to respond to the MIDI channel your controller is sending out.

3. Set the key range limit in each of them separately so that one is responding to the lower range, and the other to the upper range. You do this in the Channel Parameters in the Inspector.

4. Record enable both tracks by hitting the R button in the track header.

5. You will now hear your split the way you want it and can record it that way as well.

It is more elegant to create a simple dummy instrument in the Environment, cable it to two software instruments with their key ranges set as described above; and then use the "dummy" instrument as the track instrument.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Oct 14, 2013 10:46 AM in response to tony1111

- Go to file and choose >New<

select >Software Instrument< >Number of tracks: 2<

- Rename track 1 >Guitar<

- Rename track 2 >Strings<

- Select the track >Guitar< and to the left in the parameter pane enable >Track:<

User uploaded file

- click hold (C-2) next to >Key Limit< and adjust the lowest note for the Guitar track (for instance to C3)

now the KeyLimit should read C3 G8;

(to adjust you have to click hold on the note letter and roll the mouse up/down)

- Select the track >String<

- click hold (G-8) next to >Key Limit< and adjust the highest note for the String track (for instance to B2)

now the KeyLimit should read C-2 B3;

User uploaded file

- record enable both tracks

- with the Guitar track selected insert an instrument;

- with the String track selected insert a different instrument;

User uploaded file

And if you've followed my instructions you will hear two different instrument when playing on your keyboard. With the split point at B2/C3.

Good luck

May 26, 2014 4:02 AM in response to tony1111

I could use some help too, please. I have pretty much the same problem as tony1111, only I can't solve it the way kcstudio instructed. I too thought it would work that way, but for some reason it doesn't. I have 9 different sounds on 9 different software instrument tracks and they all are set to different midi channels (1-9) and work out fine. On channel 10 I'm trying to set up a split keyboard sound. I've done it exactly as kcstudio described above, but when I set my keyboard to channel 10 and start playing, only the first of the two sounds is playing. What am I doing wrong?

Logic pro x splitting keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.