Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan Noise on rMBP 2013

All,

I'm looking for some advice. Recently I've noticed that the right hand side fan on my rMBP 15 (bought in March 2013) has a constant low whining noise. This can be heard as soon as I switch the MacBook on, until I switch it off again after use. It can only be heard when in a quiet environment however it's becoming pretty annoying.

When putting my ear up close to each fan, there is a noticable different in sound between the left fan (which is working properly) and the right fan. I have tried both SMC and PRAM resets however the problem still persists. I've recorded each fan, both of which can be found at the links below. Do I have a case to book an appointment with a 'Genius' and get a replacement fan installed?

Normal Left Fan: https://soundcloud.com/jaisullivan/rmbp-left-fan

'Faulty' Right Fan: https://soundcloud.com/jaisullivan/rmbp-right-fan

All opinions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 6:11 AM

Do not be bashful about bringing in your MBP to an Apple store genius bar. They will examine your MBP for free and let you know if there are any issues. In the mean time you might perform an Apple Hardware test and see if that identifies any problems:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Ciao.

8 replies

Oct 13, 2013 9:10 PM in response to MRJaiSullivan

I had the same problem, but it was the left fan. I took it to the store where I purchased it for repair. When I got it back, the service report showed that the problem couldn't be found. Of course it couldn't be found because the problem is a design or production problem with the case. When the technician opened the case, it relieved the pressure and put the fan back in working order. When I took the computer home, the problem soon reappeared. Finally, I stopped the noise by turning the computer upside down and applied some pressure on the case where the noise was originating from. It was just a chance happening. I was holding the computer at different angles in the air while holding my ear to it and listening closely. When I squeezed on the case in the are of the noise, it stopped. So far the noise hasn't come back.

Oct 13, 2013 9:20 PM in response to MRJaiSullivan

noisy fan reasons:

A: you notice it more in a quiet room (the typical case) which is normal, all is AOK

B: fuzz and dust has caked onto the blades causing the fan hub to get off balance and make a buzzing sound.

C: fan rotor is going bad and making a whirring or buzz noise (rare).

D: Fan is spinning up due to excess heat from gaming, heavy graphics (typical, all is OK)

A and D are normal

B and C are not.

Do you use it in a dusty area or where there is a lot of pet fuzz? Laptop fans act like little vacuum cleaners and take in dust etc. from the ambient air around them.

If B and C continue for a long time (B is just a cleaning), they eventually cause the fan to either seize and/or die.

Good news, if that happens, and out of warranty, fan is a very cheap fix.

Bad news, if you let the fan die and continue to run same, you can overheat your unit and cause unwanted damage.

Oct 26, 2013 7:54 AM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Hi guys, just a quick update. I went to see a Genius today, and stated that there was something wrong with one of the fans (also mentioned that I kept getting image retention on my display). I've just come back from picking my rMBP up from the Apple store, apparently there isn't anything wrong with the fan (and has been cleaned etc.) but I can still hear the noise. Even though they found no issue, because it's 'buzzing' even when idle, does that constitute a fan change even though it's in working order? I mean, the noise is only audable in a silent room, however it's pretty annoying.

With regards to the display, they ran a test and changed the display so I'm hoping I won't get any ghosting anymore!

Oct 2, 2015 4:18 AM in response to Kveldalf

I had the same problem. Took it to the store (still had warranty)... they ran all sorts of tests that were normal.

They couldn't even hear the sound but I could when I was at home in a quiet room.

As a last resort, the genius took it back, opened it and cleaned out the fan assembly which fixed the problem.

Fan Noise on rMBP 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.