Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do I get a black box flickering on the left of the screen when I start my macbook pro

For some time now, I have been getting this wierd back box about 2 inches square flickering on the left side of the scree as I log in. I also get this little icon, that looks like a drawn bird like a wide open v shape where my curser should be. It flickers for about 4 seconds then goes. My macbook pro keeps on crashing, to start with it was a kernel paic, then it just had a message saying it was a crash, now it just crashes and the screen freezes. I have tied doing a simple reinstall where it just installes and not wipes. (sorry dont know what its called) but its still happening. What could be causing the flashing box and funny icon, and how can I get rid of it. Is there any way to monitor incoming/outgoing internet usage?

John

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 6:41 AM

2 replies

Oct 13, 2013 10:12 AM in response to jakewc2

If you can't boot in the usual way, try a safe boot.

During startup, you’ll see a progress bar, and then the login screen, which appears even if you normally log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin. If you have more than one user account, you must be logged in as an administrator to carry out these instructions.

Safe mode is slower than normal, and some things won’t work at all.

Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is on a software RAID, you can’t boot in safe mode.

If you're able to boot, launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Select the most recent panic log under the heading System Diagnostic Reports on the left. If you don't see that heading, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar. Post the entire contents of the panic report — the text, please, not a screenshot. In the interest of privacy, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header and body of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.) Please don't post shutdownStall, spin, or hang reports.

why do I get a black box flickering on the left of the screen when I start my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.