Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water Spilled on a late 2009 to mid 2010 white MacBook

Hi

I made a rookie mistake and spilled water on my MacBook, I believe it is from somewhere between late 2009 to mid 2010 white unibody if that helps. I have had a friend who spilled milk on their MacBook before so I was fairly knowledgable in what to do: I imediately held the power button until it shut off, unplugged it from the power cord, wiped any liquid I could off of the top case and then covered the top case in rice. The spill happened early Friday around 3 or 4 AM; I left it on my desk with the rice on it from then until Sunday morning, after which I removed the rice. I then opened the MacBook so that the screen was on a 90 degree angle from the keyboard and then placed it on its side so it lay like an open book and used a hair dryer on low to dry any remaining liquid.

It is now 10:00AM on Sunday and as I tried to power on the MacBook everything looked fine, I got the chime and the grey screen, the apple logo, then when the screen turned blue like it does right before going to the log on screen the MacBook just shut off. Thinking maybe something had happened to the hard drive, I put a spare hard drive in and inserted a USB thumb drive I have with a snow leopard install. Everything works fine, I even get to the install page, select my drive, then when the install starts, after about 10-20 seconds the MacBook shuts off.

So, my question is what do the more tech savvy people think the problem is? Right now I am going to let it dry off for another day with fingers crossed but what could be causing the shut down? Obviously the logic board isn't completely fried because I can log into snow leopard install and can get to the blue screen on my original HD. I thought I'd ask here because its going to be at least a week before I can take it to an apple store: I am at college and the closest store is 5 hours away back home.

Thanks for any help in advance

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 7:40 AM

There are no replies.

Water Spilled on a late 2009 to mid 2010 white MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.