I have a problem with iPhoto that I can't pin down. I'm running OS X 10.8.5 with all latest updates applied. I have iPhoto '11 9.4.3 720.91. When I open iPhoto I see a box notifying me that thumbnails are updating. Before the progress bar reaches the end iPhoto closes. There is no error or warning message, and no crash report.
- At first I tried rebuilding various parts of my library using the command-option method of launching iPhoto. I started with Repair Permissions, Rebuild Thumbnails and Repair Database. These all ran sucessfully, but didn't change the situation.
- To understand whether the problem was with my library or with something else I did two things:
- I created a new library under my user account, lauching with Option key, and selecting Create New. Under the new library iPhoto launches and stays open, but when I import any photo into the library iPhoto closes, no error or warning and no crash report.
- I created a fresh user account, logged in under that user account and started iPhoto. Similar to the new library test I am able to launch iPhoto and it stays open until I import a photo and then closes with no error, warning or crash report.
- My next port or call was launching in safe mode by booting with the shift key held. In safe mode I launched iPhoto and it stayed open and I was able to see my photo library.
- I initially avoided running the Rebuild database step, but I went back to non-safe mode and ran the rebuild database step. This took a while to run, but ultimately didn't change anything.
At this point I feel as though I have ruled out a problem with my library since this happens on brand new libraries. I got it working in safe mode and I feel that this implies that something that runs in normal mode, but not safe mode could be interfering. I don't know where to start with that, so I tried a few other "last resort" steps. Figuring that it's not the library I guessed it could be something up with the software or operating system.
- I uninstalled iPhoto, reinstalled from my iLife install disk, and applied all updates. Same result.
- Finally, and rather reluctantly, I reinstalled the operating system, and applied all updates. Same result.
I have finally reached the point where I don't know how to diagnose this any further, and I'm looking to you kind people for help.
With no crash report (that I can find) is there any other way I can see why iPhoto is closing? What else can I try?