Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot camp stuck partitioning

I am having quite a panic attack here. I wanted to partition my 2tb hard drive in the second bay to have windows on it. I obviously did this using boot camp. I followed the steps as I had done it before and ended up partitioning 101gb for Windows. The progress bar went very quickly until about 1/3 of the way and just stopped. The animation is still there, but the bar itself it not moving at all. It has been almost 2 hours now and I am seriously considering cancelling the partition by just quitting boot camp. I have a few serious questions however:

1) Am I being too hasty? Should a partition of this size take longer than this on a 2tb hard drive? If so then I will wait.

2) If not, will quitting the Boot Camp application during the partition delete everything on my drive or will it just remove the 101gb that it was trying to partition?

3) If it does just remove the 101gb, how would I go about getting this space back without erasing my whole drive? I have many files that I would like to keep.

4) Also, if I leave Boot Camp running on this screen for a few days, will it damage the drive?

User uploaded file

That is was my screen looks like except the blue bar has an animation, the program is not completely frozen, it just is not progressing!

I really need some help fast, thank you.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 2:53 AM

Juts solved my own problem! If this happens to you, its so simple to filx.

1) Quit boot camp, nothing will happen. You will lose that space temporarily though.

2) Open Disk Utility

3) Select your desired drive and on the first tab, click "Repair Disk". It should take about 30 seconds and all my space is back! No files were deleted and everything is back to normal.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2013 2:53 AM in response to Rory_Campbell

Juts solved my own problem! If this happens to you, its so simple to filx.

1) Quit boot camp, nothing will happen. You will lose that space temporarily though.

2) Open Disk Utility

3) Select your desired drive and on the first tab, click "Repair Disk". It should take about 30 seconds and all my space is back! No files were deleted and everything is back to normal.

Boot camp stuck partitioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.