Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal Hotspot (via USB) not working on iPhone 5 (iOS 7.0.2) with MacBookPro (10.7.5)

Until upgrading my iPhone 5 to iOS 7, I was able to connect my MacBookPro (v10.7.5) via USB cable and use iPhone LTE for internet. I simply plugged in the USB-Thunderbolt cable to both, then clicked "Turn Wifi Off" on MBP. I would see the blue bar on my iPhone, and some sort of "connected" icon on the MBP where the Network Icon is.

But now, I'm not seeing a blue, "1 other device connected" bar on the iPhone.

I rebooted the iPhone. That didn't work.

Rebooted MBP. That didn't work

So I dug deeper...

On the MBP, in Network Preferences, I see "iPhone USB" with a status of "Not Connected: Either the cable for iPhone USB is not plugged in or the device is not responding." Googling that phrase led me to article on a different site with these steps:

• Copy /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext to a backup folder (Desktop) and delete the original
  • Re-download the latest version of iTunes (http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/)
  • Install iTunes, this will update your “AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext” file.
  • Disconnect USB-connection to iPhone
  • Re-connect iPhone via USB

After doing that, I can now connect Wifi to my iPhone, but still can't connect via USB.

USB is my preference becasue the hard-line tether was always much more solid and reliable.

So with that in mind, I deleted "iPhone USB" from Network Settings hoping, after a reboot of both devices, that it might recreate it. But that didn't work.

I also reset the Network Settings on iPhone, which I saw referenced in another article. But that didn't work either.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Thx, Patrick

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 10:58 AM

3 replies

Personal Hotspot (via USB) not working on iPhone 5 (iOS 7.0.2) with MacBookPro (10.7.5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.