6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 8:09 AM by LexSchellings
Terpee Level 1 (0 points)

Since I have updated Safari, when I open a window/website then close it again, while im using facebook eventually my computer starts to slow down. I have read about the Activity Monitor here. I tried to check the System Memory the Active section is reaching 1gb already. The Safari Web Content is getting bigger and bigger, don't know why. That's why I think my computer is starting to crash. Sometimes or most of the time, when it happens, i just restart and the loading screen starts slowly. And, I am having lots of color wheel moments.

Also, I tried using google chrome, it works just fine.

So can I downgrade Safari? or do i need to do something?

Thanks a lot!

Safari 5.1.10, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 (102,825 points)

The Safari Web Content is getting bigger and bigger, don't know why. That's why I think my computer is starting to crash.

Unlikely ...

Emptied the Safari cache lately? With Safari open press Command + Option + E. Quit and relaunch Safari.

Not enough free space on the startup disk can cause the issues you are describing

Control click the MacintoshHD icon on your desktop then click Get Info. You'll see:  Capacity & Available

Make sure there's at least 15% free disk space.

Check the startup disk lately?

Launch Disk Utility located in HD > Applications > Utillities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click:  Verify Disk  (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If DU reports errors, start up from your Mac install disc to make repairs.

Instructions here >  Mac OS X 10.6: Reinstalling Mac OS X

• Terpee Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Sorry for the late reply too.

I've been using Chrome lately, but since yesterday my Chrome had been crashing down.

Anyway, to answer your questions, my capacity is: 249.72 GB, Available: 156.95 GB, Used: 92.76 GB

Since my mac open slowly yesterday, I ran the Disk Utility, I tried the Verify, Verify Permission, and Repair Permission.. The HD appeared to be OK.

I found a thread here saying, in able for you to repair the HD, you need to insert the disc and restart your mac and press 'c' on the keyboard. Though havent tried this one.

How about some repair disk softwares? Do you know a good one? Like Disk-Arbitrator, Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro? These are the ones I see often.

Thank you once again.

Hi Carolyn,

Its me again, my Chrome is okay now. I just re-installed it.

But still when I open my macbook, the loading time takes long.

I have tried the OSX dvd, by inserting the disc, then restart, then press 'c'.. and repair disk.

The Disc seems appeared to be OK. Both HD.

DO you know any free repair tools for mac?

• LexSchellings Level 6 (8,125 points)

Do not use any non-apple "tools", that makes it worse.

If you get OK from DiskUtility "Verify Disk", you do not need to run repair disk (which you should do from the SL CD).

If you want to use Chrome (fast browser, but a memory "spiller"), make sure that you use as less extensions as possible, and know that there are a lot of "bad"extensions. You better Quit (from the menu) Safari, when you use Chrome, and vice versa; avoid having both running at the same time.

Hi LexSchellings,

Thanks for the advice.

So far when I open my macbook, it turns out good. I guess there's something wrong with the Chrome.

Because one day, I got this invite from facebook, its caled FB music. You will have a music and a different backgound using your facebook. When I checked my homepage, I saw this 'Like Pages', it turns out there was these scripts inlcluded in the content. Good thing, there's a 'Activity Log' link/button in facebook, I saw a lots of stuff that I liked and commented on the photos without letting me know.

To cut the story short, I just re-installed my Chrome and now its looking good.

Yep, I dont use Chrome and Safari at the same time.

• LexSchellings Level 6 (8,125 points)

Very good, be careful!