Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media manage - delete unused media clarrification

I have searched but not found an answer to give me enough convidecne to give this a go.

I want to retranscode the media within a timeline. I know that checking the "delete unsed media" box means new separate files will be created in the new media folder. But does that delete the unsed portion of media from the original source file too?

My timeline is 11 minutes long, but the source interviews are around 3 hours in total so woudl prefer not to transcode the full souce files!

cheers

Hugh

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 4:59 PM

No, the source files will not be modified. The only modification FCP is capable of is renaming source and that requires effort on your part.

HOWEVER... If I understand what you wrote here, what Media Manager is going to output only the (already transcoded) clips in the timeline. I'm guessing that transcoding these clips again will not give you the results you desire. If you're not happy with the current clips, you need to go back to the source to get a clean start.

I had to do something like this once a long time ago and I got a screen shot of the timecodes for the clips and then cut the source by using the preview window to set the ins and outs for each clip. It's an unrewarding task but the only way I could come up to minimize the amount of source that Compressor needed to process.

Hope this helps

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2013 4:59 PM in response to Hughey

No, the source files will not be modified. The only modification FCP is capable of is renaming source and that requires effort on your part.

HOWEVER... If I understand what you wrote here, what Media Manager is going to output only the (already transcoded) clips in the timeline. I'm guessing that transcoding these clips again will not give you the results you desire. If you're not happy with the current clips, you need to go back to the source to get a clean start.

I had to do something like this once a long time ago and I got a screen shot of the timecodes for the clips and then cut the source by using the preview window to set the ins and outs for each clip. It's an unrewarding task but the only way I could come up to minimize the amount of source that Compressor needed to process.

Hope this helps

Oct 13, 2013 5:20 PM in response to RatVega™

Hey there, thanks for this.

The reason for all this is the footage was shot Song Slog to give me maximum grading potentail to take into Da Vinci Resolve. For whatever reason Resolve doens't seem to read the codec I used (Sony SR Reader) so I'm planning to do this to turn into ProRes for grading purposes.

What do you mean by won't give me the results I'm after?

cheers

Hugh

Oct 13, 2013 8:44 PM in response to Hughey

Hughey wrote:

What do you mean by won't give me the results I'm after?

What I meant is: you can't (or shouldn't) "untranscode" since it's another couple of compression cycles and almost always means poorer quality. I've run across a few folks who wanted to do this because of bad spec choices in the original transcode.

I'm not familiar with the codec you mention but I trust it isn't high compression.

Good luck!

Media manage - delete unused media clarrification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.