Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a 16GB be enough for the needs I want on an iPad Generation 4 or 5 and how much will be the iPad 5?

I'm thinking of getting the 4 or wait till the 5 comes out. The only needs I want in an iPad is:

• Maybe play like at least 6 or less app games like Temple Run, Draw Something and Subway Surfers.
  • Take some pictures but probably delete a few later on.
  • Use ebooks/ibook textbooks for college (download like 2 books for each of my two classes).
  • Download Notebook or something so I can write my notes in.

Will a 16GB be enough and suitable for all of this or doing I need more than a 16GB? Also, give me a brief explanation why.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 6:03 PM

10 replies

Oct 13, 2013 6:34 PM in response to TheQueenandherApple

TheQueenandherApple wrote:

I'm thinking of getting the 4 or wait till the 5 comes out. The only needs I want in an iPad is:

• Maybe play like at least 6 or less app games like Temple Run, Draw Something and Subway Surfers.
  • Take some pictures but probably delete a few later on.
  • Use ebooks/ibook textbooks for college (download like 2 books for each of my two classes).
  • Download Notebook or something so I can write my notes in.

Will a 16GB be enough and suitable for all of this or doing I need more than a 16GB? Also, give me a brief explanation why.

For 16 GB is plenty is what ure after doin some pics,games,note books not a problem anyhow if nearly full(GB) and want to add bit more games,just deleted what games ure no longer playing so u can add more space if ure in doubt just go to 32 GB if u goin to add alot ...for ipad 5 no idea when this avail and how much will be but this will be far superior than ipad 4 so better you just wait for new model coming up on oct in event.

Oct 13, 2013 8:38 PM in response to TheQueenandherApple

I agree with other posters about getting as much space as you can because it cannot be increased. Also, very often people only want as ipad for limited number of specific uses. However, once you have one and learn about all you can do with it, though I'm sure you probably have a good idea, you might want to expand what you use it for. Our younger son in college thought 32 gb would be more than enough. We bought him the 64 gb and he's happy about that because he's now used up over 50 gb.

As a college student you might find apps like Jump Desktop very useful. You'll be able to take your ipad to class and work on Word documents, power point presentations, excel sheets, etc. then see and work with them on your ipad and leave your MBP at home. (I'm not sure how many gb that app will take up.) Our son has Splashtop, but he might prefer using Jump. You might want to check out user (app store) and pro tech reviews. In the USA, as a college student you might be eligible for a free $50.00 app gift card if the promotion is still available.

If the cost is a concern you might want to consider buying a refurbished ipad in the Apple online refurbished store. We bought two last year and they have been great. Each comes with a new front and back, a brand new battery, and a full one year warranty. They come in a box just like a new ipad and have the charger. You can also buy Apple Care + if you want to which will give you two opportunites to have it replaced if broken screen, water damage, etc.

In the USA a new ipad 4 16 gb costs $499.00. In the refurb store, a 32 gb is also $499.00. You'll have twice the space for the same price.

Hope this helps.

Oct 13, 2013 9:37 PM in response to TheQueenandherApple

People will always tell you to purchase what you can afford. But what if you can only afford a 16 GB device? I can only afford 16 GB devices. I have zero issues as far as storage memory goes. I don't need weeks of music on my device at one time. I offload pictures & videos to the PC and then back them up onto optical media. The games I'm currently playing stay on the iPad & the remainder are kept in my iTunes library. If you manage your storage well, there's a good chance that 16 GB will be more than adequate. It all depends on how YOU use the device and how you mange what's on it.

Oct 14, 2013 7:47 AM in response to TheQueenandherApple

Hi TheQueenandherApple,

I'm happy to have helped. I was a little concerned when you said I helped you with iNotebooks, as I hadn't heard that before regarding ipad. If you're referring to Jump Desktop, I hope you got, from my explanation, that Jump allows you to work on your MBP - most people seem to prefer to work on a computer at home or in a dorm for long documents/papers, excel spreadsheets, etc. Many then want them on their ipads for convenience and so buy apps. Many people are happy with the Pages, Numbers, and/or Keynote apps at $19.99 each.(Please read pro tech reviews and user reviews in the app store.) However, many have problems after transferring because the apps' layouts do not always copy exactly as you have it on your computer. With Jump Desktop you can see what you have done on your computer and work with it on your ipad with no layout, font, or borders changes. Then any changes you make on your ipad will be on your computer when you get back to it.

I'm not sure if by 'writing notes' you mean typing on your ipad or using a stylus to hand write your notes. If it's the latter you might want to read this which describes some apps which will help as you write. Also, research which stylus will work best for you.

http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/handwriting-apps-for-ipad

Please note that many of the apps you might buy will not take up too much space, but you'll need about double the space for the downloading process.

I also suggest that if you're completely new to ipad and if you have time, you might want to go through this site every so often to learn about the ipad, apps, and possible problems that can easily be solved. We bought an ipad last year for my husband so I learned a lot, took notes on apps, etc. so he wouldn't figure things out so easily. (He spends days on financial computers and if he has tech issues his company's IT takes care of them - so clueless about ipad when it was new.)

These days most issues on here are dealing with ios 7 updates issues, but you can almost always get help here.

Also, once you start classes, other students might be helpful.

Enjoy your new ipad and all the best in your classes.

Will a 16GB be enough for the needs I want on an iPad Generation 4 or 5 and how much will be the iPad 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.