Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

applications close unexpectedly when asked to print

MacMini from 2/06 running Tiger (10.4.11) has decided it no longer wants to print. The application (Safari, Pages) that I want to print from “closes unexpectedly” every time I ask it to print to my Brother HL5240.

Downloaded fresh print driver - no change. Ran extended hardware test - everything passed. Reset the print procedure and then repaired permissions. Any further suggestions?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1.33 GHz Power PC G4

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 9:27 PM

5 replies

Nov 3, 2013 5:50 PM in response to BDAqua

OK - Here are the results from two tries, one with Safari and the other with Pages. As far as I am concerned, most of this is mystical though I think I understand a bit about p-lists. Where would I go to find the one referenced here, and am I right that if I find it, I should just delete it and when needed it would rewrite itself in the correct way? Or is there something else that this is telling someone who knows way more than I do about the inner workings of these things?

2013-11-03 11:29:57.259 Safari[265] CFLog (0):

CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:

/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PrintingAccessoryView .nib/keyedobjects.nib

The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.

Nov 3 11:30:03 pete-and-karen-van-boemels-mac-mini crashdump[283]: Safari crashed

Nov 3 11:30:05 pete-and-karen-van-boemels-mac-mini crashdump[283]: crash report written to: /Users/peteandkarenvanboemel/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Safari.crash.log

2013-11-03 17:25:24.127 Pages[405] CFLog (0):

CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:

/Applications/iWork '08/Pages.app/Contents/Frameworks/SFWordProcessing.framework/Resources/RulerPar aMargin.tiff

The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.

Nov 3 17:25:45 pete-and-karen-van-boemels-mac-mini crashdump[409]: Pages crashed

Nov 3 17:25:49 pete-and-karen-van-boemels-mac-mini crashdump[409]: crash report written to: /Users/peteandkarenvanboemel/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Pages.crash.log

Thanks for any help.

Dec 18, 2013 10:20 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, in the meantime, the Mini decided to do other annoying things like crash for no reason when using Safari, or not respond to mouse or keyboard until it is turned off and on again. We gave up and will soon take possession of a refurbished Mini that is much newer. It sort of seemed as if we might be able to resolve one problem and then have to deal with another and so on which gets tiring. Thanks for trying to help - it is really appreciated.

applications close unexpectedly when asked to print

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.