8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2014 3:55 PM by dhakim
iflytrap Level 1 (0 points)

Since updating to iOS 7.0.2, when syncing my ipad and my iphone I get the message, "The ipad/phone cannot be synced because it cannot be read from or written to." When I deselect all photos from being synced to my devices, the message no longer appears. This tells me the problem is obviously related to iphoto.  Reading a few forums on this matter tells me the solution has something to do with emptying a photo cache, deleting photos, then reimporting; everything is rather vague. I always empty trash in iphoto, then I secure empty trash in finder, then I erase free disc space in disc utility. What exact steps must I take so that itunes will once again sync all images from iphoto onto both my ipad and iphone?

iPad 3G, iOS 7.0.2
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 (103,360 points)

Instructions for deleting the photo cache > iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

• iflytrap Level 1 (0 points)

I believe I did this already. There no longer is any photo cache in finder.

• ibrahimlahoud Level 1 (0 points)

Tried it. DId not work. BEst alternative solution for now is to disable photo syncing from itunes. All works perfect.

When you pug your iPad, click on it then to the right click on the "Photos" tab (on the top bar), and uncheck "Sync Photos". You can choose to keep or remove the photos you already have on your device. Hope this helps. :-)

• ibrahimlahoud Level 1 (0 points)

Best alternative solution for now is to disable photo syncing from itunes. All works perfect.

When you pug your iPad, click on it then to the right click on the "Photos" tab (on the top bar), and uncheck "Sync Photos". You can choose to keep or remove the photos you already have on your device. Hope this helps. :-)

• Riquez Level 1 (45 points)

Did you find a solution to this?

I bought an iPad to use for photos, but the only thing I cant do is use photos!! - I have the same problem you describe, trying to Sync photos fails the sync. Turn it off, It works.

But now I have a $600 brick because the purpose of the iPad is to use with my photography...

I have restored the iPad twice, but the issue remains. I have also rebuilt the iPhoto Library.

• Riquez Level 1 (45 points)

For those that follow~

After speaking to Apple Support for about 2 hours, the issue has been narrowed down to a corruption problem in the computers iPhoto Library.

To confirm this:

Problem: When ticking "sync photos" in iTunes, your sync fails with the error "cannot be synced, unknown error -50". (syncing other data is OK, only when ticking photos is there a problem)

Test: HOLD alt/option (mac) & open iPhoto. You will be prompted to create a new Library. (the old one will be left untouched)

Import a few photos to your new library.

Quit iTUNES & re-open it. Connect your device & go to the photo tab. Click Sync Photos, you will see your new library. Sync - it should now work.

In iPhoto you can switch between your old & new Library using the FILE >Switch Library option.

Additionally: You may also import photos to your device by using iTunes "Sync Photos *From Folder* " option.

This is a work around to get your photos onto your device without using iPhoto.

This is not a fix, my issue is ongoing. I am posting only to help future readers. In my case rebuilding the iPhoto Library (hold option/alt when opening iPhoto) was not able to correct the problem.

• Lflores88 Level 1 (0 points)

WWeill replacing the device help?

• dhakim Level 1 (0 points)

It was deleting the iphoto cache as instructed in this Apple document iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder in order to free up space (it was literally dominating my harddrive) that caused the photo sync problem. Disabling photo sync from itunes may help but like others here I actually want my photos syncced to my phone. Im experiencing this problem under iOS 8