Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive died... How do I reinstall Mountain Lion onto an external drive?

I have Time Machine and two extra external drives but now I cannot boot from the Hard Drive to reinstall Mountain Lion. I have a recovery partition from TechTool but it does not include Time Machine or the App Store. My computer boots into the TechTool disk but my hard drive is not shown. Disk Utility does not see my hard drive either.

Any suggestions?

TIA

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), HP OfficeJet 6500

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 5:43 AM

Sorry, I'm confused.

The recovery partition from Tech Tool, this is on the internal HD or on a CD/DVD?

Is this the same thing as the TechTool disk that your computer can boot into?

Where is the Disk Utility that cannot see your hard drive? Is it on the Apple recovery partition on your internal drive? Are you saying that Disk Utility on your Apple recovery partition cannot see your boot partition?

It sounds like your internal boot partition won't work, but the internal drive itself is OK (i.e., Disk Utility, on your Apple recovery partition, doesn't see the normal boot partition), or at least OK to the extent that the Apple Recovery partition can run.

If you install Mountain Lion on your external drive and use it as the boot drive for your computer, it will be very slow, and you won't be happy. I'd forget that idea.

Assuming I am thinking correctly about your situation, I would try to repair your HD. Your options would be:

1. a safe boot Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? and then disk utility
  2. boot into single user mode and see if you can repair your hard drive Repair Your Hard Disk in Single User Mode | Everything Macintosh
  3. internet recovery OS X: About OS X Recovery
  4. recovery disk assisant, if you have made one already OS X Recovery Disk Assistant v1.0

If none of that works, then I'd try and wipe the entire drive and start over. I'd try to do that from internet recovery. Hopefully one of your external drives has backups on it.

If that doesn't work, then I'd replace the drive.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2013 5:43 AM in response to Rob Owen

Sorry, I'm confused.

The recovery partition from Tech Tool, this is on the internal HD or on a CD/DVD?

Is this the same thing as the TechTool disk that your computer can boot into?

Where is the Disk Utility that cannot see your hard drive? Is it on the Apple recovery partition on your internal drive? Are you saying that Disk Utility on your Apple recovery partition cannot see your boot partition?

It sounds like your internal boot partition won't work, but the internal drive itself is OK (i.e., Disk Utility, on your Apple recovery partition, doesn't see the normal boot partition), or at least OK to the extent that the Apple Recovery partition can run.

If you install Mountain Lion on your external drive and use it as the boot drive for your computer, it will be very slow, and you won't be happy. I'd forget that idea.

Assuming I am thinking correctly about your situation, I would try to repair your HD. Your options would be:

1. a safe boot Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? and then disk utility
  2. boot into single user mode and see if you can repair your hard drive Repair Your Hard Disk in Single User Mode | Everything Macintosh
  3. internet recovery OS X: About OS X Recovery
  4. recovery disk assisant, if you have made one already OS X Recovery Disk Assistant v1.0

If none of that works, then I'd try and wipe the entire drive and start over. I'd try to do that from internet recovery. Hopefully one of your external drives has backups on it.

If that doesn't work, then I'd replace the drive.

Oct 14, 2013 6:06 AM in response to Rob Owen

One question first, what happens when you boot up holding the option key, into Startup Manager, can you see/boot from your OS X volume?

If that's not so, follow arthur's good advice. Use Internet Recovery, if Disk Utility does not see the volume or reports the disk cannot be repaired.

The problem with installing on another drive is that you need an installer and there's no way to access the AppStore without an OS X system. If you have another Mac you can DL the installer from there, orDL it at an Apple Store. Just copy it from Applications folder to an 8GB or larger disk.

When you do install, don't install the eDrive, it's redundant. Which TechTool do you have, the Pro?

@arthur FWIW - I've run many OS X systems from external firewire 800 drives for months at a time and don't even notice the difference.

Oct 14, 2013 7:05 AM in response to Rob Owen

If your iMac is the one listed in your profile (ie, from 2007) then it will not have "Internet Recovery" as an option, so if your hard drive is nonfunctional then any recovery partition or other boot partition on it will not work. However, your system does have an optical drive and did come with gray OS X installation DVDs. Additionally, you might have a more recent retail purchase of OS X Lion or Mountain Lion. Any of these can be used as boot discs, so insert them into the optical drive and start the system with the C key held, and when the OS X installer loads you can then attach your external drive and use that as a destination for installing OS X.

Oct 21, 2013 6:50 AM in response to arthur

The recovery partition is on a seperate external drive.

Disk Utility and TechTool 7 are both installed on the drive but neither see the internal drive.

I can't repair or format the internal HD because it does not show up.

Sorry for the confusion and the late reply.

I was able to find a thumb drive that I had forgotten about with Mountian Lion on it.

Oct 21, 2013 6:54 AM in response to Rob Owen

Well if you cannot see the drive chances are its damaged beyond repair. You can take it out of and replace yourself if you do not have waranty anymore. iFixit.com is a great place where you can find instructions how to do it.

After taking the drive out you can try to salvage it by connecting it to some external case.

Oct 21, 2013 7:04 AM in response to macjack

When trying to boot into single user mode I am presented with the TechTool eDrive only.

I could not use internet recovery mode or Time Machine restore because the TechTool eDrive did not have those options.

I have TechTool Pro 7 installed on an external drive.

This is the second time that the HD has died in less than a year. I had bought a thumb drive and used it to store a bootable install disk of Mountain Lion. Thankfully I had just forgotten about it and was able to find it and use it to reinstall onto an external drive.

I hate using external drives as boot drives because they sometimes don't wear well, but buying another HD and paying to have it installed again is not an option this time. The speed is not that bad, considering that the external drive is USB.

Hard drive died... How do I reinstall Mountain Lion onto an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.