Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 10.8.5 Can't install any updates for any of my 3rd party software

Hi Guys

Don't know if any of you out there can help me but for some reason I am unable to install any unpdates for ANY of my third party software on my System Drive or any other drive for that matter. I continually get the little yellow triangle on the drive icon at the "destination select" stage of any update installation. Ive never had this problem before and it's only been happending over the last week and i haven't changed any OSX settings. Also im logged in as the Administrator and have the permissions set to read & write to all my drives.

Has anyone experienced this too?????

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 4:50 AM

8 replies

Oct 14, 2013 7:48 AM in response to Lordfader

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS. You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need your backup unless something goes wrong. If your Mac was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you’ll need the Apple ID and password you used to upgrade.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it.

Oct 17, 2013 1:29 AM in response to Lordfader

If you want to take the risk, you can forcibly install a package using Pacifist (free download). You can also modify the package install requirements, but I forget how to do that.

But something seems very wrong about this... It's as if your OS version has changed. It's a long shot, but check "About this Mac" from the Apple menu, and make sure it says 10.8.5. My other guess would be that Installer is messed up and (ironically) needs to be reinstalled.

Oct 17, 2013 4:51 AM in response to d00dbro

I did think that a complete reinstall was a bit OTT but it seems to of done the trick and only took 45mins. Im sure that it was something very simple like a tick box somewhere or something or maybe a bug in OSX 10.8.5. Thank you all for you your help and suggestions. Everything is back up and running now. Maybe we should keep this thread open to see if other user experience the same problems. Thanks again.

OSX 10.8.5 Can't install any updates for any of my 3rd party software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.