Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot access files on Time Machine due to permissions

I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled Mountain Lion. I am now trying to pull my files back off of Time Machine - music, pictures, documents. I keep getting errors stating I do not have permission to access certain files and the whole process shuts down. On my backup drive, I had a different username. Is that the problem? If so, how can I fix it without creating a new user with my old name and creating more problems?

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Time Machine

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 6:55 AM

2 replies

Oct 16, 2013 9:41 AM in response to dftemple

I suspect that the problem isn't so much a different user name but a different user ID. You can see that for your current account in System Preferences > Users & Groups by right-clicking on a user and selecting "Advanced Options". (Heed the warning about changing the values you see in that panel!)

You can see the user ID for a file in Time Machine using a command in a Terminal session. Open a session and type "ls -ln ", where the letters "l" are lower-case "L"s and there's a space after what you type. (Don't type the quotes.) Then use the Finder to navigate to a file on your Time Machine disk that you can't access, drag it to the Terminal window, and press <return>. The user ID will be shown in the third field. It will probably be a number like as 501. If your account's user ID is 501 and that of the Time Machine files is 502, I'd create a new account on your Mac. It will probably be given the user ID 502, which will match that of the Time Machine files.

Cannot access files on Time Machine due to permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.