Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hotmail imap not downloading inbox

Hi

Couldn't find a good answer to this.

Does anyone know why hotmail's new IMAP protocol wont sync properly with OSX Mail.app?

It doesn't download any of the inbox, although does sync trash, drafts etc.

It also works perfectly on the iphone and even postbox on osx (which I dont really like)

Any help appreciated!

Duncan

MBP 15" Core2Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 7:21 AM

6 replies

Nov 1, 2013 11:08 PM in response to chimpy33

I have this problem too.

It syncs drafts and sent mail and other mail folders but not inbox. I've been waiting 15 minutes since setting it up.

I'll post back here if I find a solution/ if it just ends up syncing.

FYI:

Here are the instructions for using IMAP hotmail with OS X Mail -> http://macmanus.nl/2013/10/15/fixed-set-imap-email-for-hotmail-com-live-com-and- outlook-com-in-macosx-mail-app/

Nov 2, 2013 6:38 AM in response to chimpy33

I have a fix that worked for me. I used outlook.com to sweep all messages out of the inbox into a new folder, then put about 200 of my most recent messages back into inbox. Inbox is now syncing properly but the new folder is empty on my mac.

(This is in mavericks too). The annoying thing is that it was working fine before today using the POP3 servers but I decided I wanted to take advantage of hotmail's new IMAP settings.

Nov 9, 2013 8:04 AM in response to chimpy33

What worked for me is a tip I got from

http://macmanus.nl/2013/10/15/fixed-set-imap-email-for-hotmail-com-live-com-and- outlook-com-in-macosx-mail-app/

as posted by iCouldMailFail. The complete set of instructions doesn't apply to the Mavericks version of Mail, but by entering "imap-mail.outlook.com" as the incoming server and "smtp.live.com" as the outgoing server, with my xxxxxx@hotmail.com address, everything fell into place. Thanks a lot.

😎

Apr 10, 2014 9:29 PM in response to icloudmailfail

icloudmailfail - your solution worked for me also. Thanks!!!!

icloudmailfailwrote:

I have a fix that worked for me. I used outlook.com to sweep all messages out of the inbox into a new folder, then put about 200 of my most recent messages back into inbox. Inbox is now syncing properly but the new folder is empty on my mac.

(This is in mavericks too). The annoying thing is that it was working fine before today using the POP3 servers but I decided I wanted to take advantage of hotmail's new IMAP settings.

hotmail imap not downloading inbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.