Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Call waiting - "End current call" - phone hangs up on everyone

iPhone 5, current ios7 update, Verizon - US.

When on a call, and a new call comes up (on call waiting), three options come up - (1) "end current call", (2) "answer - hold current call", and (3) "decline - incoming call").

When pressing "end current call" - all calls hang up.

Why would anyone want the option of ending both calls (ending current call, and not answering the incoming call), when someone calls in through call waiting?

That option doesn't make sense, and is, for me and others i talked to, the default thing you push (it's at the top), the first couple times until you realize what it does.

It should be the same options as come up when a call comes in regularly, including the ability to respond with text messaging.

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 8:20 AM

This is network dependent, not phone dependent.

16 replies

Nov 6, 2013 8:39 AM in response to JohnBrowning123

I'm on the phone with Verizon and they have no idea what's going on. I too experience the "Call waiting" fiasco. Tested it with my hubby's iPhone (4S) iOS7 AT&T and he does NOT experience the problem. Family members have both AT&T and Verizon. AT&T iOS7 users expereince a normal/as-expected call waiting, while Verizon users do not. Although it seems an obvious carrier issue, how come Verizon is playing ignorant?

Update: Verizon says Call Waiting and Call Merge will NOT be supported in iOS7. They consider it comparable to the "no voice and data" at the same time issue... meaning, they don't consider it a problem and will not fix either issue. The say it's a CDMA limitation. I asked them to please open a ticket, as it worked for me in the past.

Dec 15, 2013 6:24 AM in response to LexElle

Agreed. I just switched from AT&T to Verizon last month. Before, I had an iPhone 4s, and now an iPhone 5s. Both had iOS 7. When call waiting calls came in, I could pick up and either hang up the previous call or hold them. That was on the AT&T network. With Verizon, no matter which button I choose, all calls hang up. I have to literally ignore the new incoming call and just listen to it beep until they get voicemail. THEN I have to hang up my first call and return the call to the one I couldn't answer on call waiting.

Clearly it's not a technology issue, but a Verizon problem. And yes, Mark...I'm sure it worked before. At least, it did for the last 5 years that I've had an iPhone, including one using the latest iOS.

Jan 22, 2015 11:48 AM in response to JohnBrowning123

I just found this thread because I have the same issue with iPhone 6 / iOS 8 on Verizon.

I called tech support and they said there was no switch or setting to make this feature work as we would expect. That said, through some experimentation, we did notice that if I hit "end current call", it looks like it hangs up on both, but from the incoming caller's perspective, it's still ringing. Then, a few seconds later, it looks like a new incoming call from them to me, which I treat like a normal incoming call and answer.

So, from my perspective, it looks like it hung up on both and then I got a new call. But from the caller's perspective, it just keeps ringing.

It does take 2-3 more rings, so it seems like a long time, even though I answer their call quickly, so if you find that you don't get what looks like that second call, the person may have simply hung up because it took too long for you to "answer".

Jul 14, 2016 1:35 PM in response to JohnBrowning123

I have an iPhone 6S with Sprint and I have this same issue! Ugh!! It's so annoying!!! If this is Apple's fault, then I'm sorry, I'm beginning to think splurging the way I have for the past 4 years on iPhones is not worth it anymore. If the problem comes from Sprint, then I wish I would've known this prior to switching over from T-Mobile. Sprint *****!!!!

Jul 14, 2016 1:39 PM in response to flaquita7

flaquita7 wrote:

I have an iPhone 6S with Sprint and I have this same issue! Ugh!! It's so annoying!!! If this is Apple's fault, then I'm sorry, I'm beginning to think splurging the way I have for the past 4 years on iPhones is not worth it anymore. If the problem comes from Sprint, then I wish I would've known this prior to switching over from T-Mobile. Sprint *****!!!!

As has been noted repeatedly in this thread, it is not an Apple issue. It's a carrier issue. Carriers with a legacy CDMA network such as Sprint and Verizon handle call waiting and three-way calling than GSM carriers such as AT&T and Tmobile. Any phone would work the same way.

Call waiting - "End current call" - phone hangs up on everyone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.