Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not recognizing iPod touch (1st Gen)

I have been on my macbook pro retina for hours now trying to find a solution:

Found my old iPod Touch (1st Gen) in my storage unit and thought - I can so use this in my MiniCooper! It already has cables meant for it to be recognized thru the stereo! (I have a iPhone 5 that doesn't work with it).

So I thought, I'll update the music in it and ready to go! Wrong.

I have the newest iTunes 11.1 and when I plug in my old iPod Touch - it's not even recognized. I tried the troubleshooting guides and nothing.

The iPod works - I can go thru it, play songs, etc. It's charge even lasts relatively long...

I can't even get my Mac to recognize it under my Finder...

PLEASE HELP! 😢

What I have:

2012 MacBook Pro Retina (OSX 10.8.5)

iTunes 11.1

iPod Touch (1st Gen)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 7:59 AM

5 replies

Oct 14, 2013 8:22 AM in response to CruiseShipGirl

Try powering the iPod off and back on and then see if it's recognized. If not, perhaps this will help if you haven't seen it already:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1591

If that fails, try cleaning the dock connector with electrical contact cleaner; there may be corrosion or debris that's preventing contect, then try a different cable, or try the iPod on a different computer.

If it's not recognized even then, it's possible that there's a hardware problem with the iPod.

Regards.

Oct 14, 2013 9:29 AM in response to varjak paw

@varjak paw - Thanks for trying...

Already tried resetting iPod, holding down the sleep/wake and home button... That didn't change anything.

My MacBook Pro Retina is not even a year old. Ports are working fine for my iPhone 5 and external hard drives.

I don't have another computer.

I don't even care if I have to reset my ipod touch entirely to use it... Or get a new IOS for it... Just need to find out how to do it if my Mac doesn't recognize it.

Mar 21, 2016 2:16 PM in response to CruiseShipGirl

I have faced the same issue. My iPod 1G was on 1.1.5 and iTunes was failing to restore leaving my iPod in recovery mode.

I downloaded iPod1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore manually and used iTunes to restore the iPod using this. Just google the ipsw file and use it.

Instructions to restore: http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/23/how-to-use-ipsw-files/

Worked like a charm.

not recognizing iPod touch (1st Gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.