Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not rent or purchase movies after 6.0 Apple TV update, what strategies have been used recently to successfuly rectify this problem?

I will provide a brief over view of what happened and what I have thus far tried:

I updated Apply TV software approximately two weeks ago based on a software update prompt. Afterwards, I experienced varying problems: requests to enter my three digit secuty code for my credit card only to be asked to resubmit or an inability to have the unit access the itunes store to proceed to rent or purchase a movie - would be sent back to the original screen to rent or pruchase a specific movie.

The following strategies (with reasons or rationale) were used to reectify the problem:

1. I repeatedly restarted the unit as well as reset the unit (updating software) - to verify software update was not corrupted;

2. I reentered my credit card information in my apple account - to verify apple account;

3. I successfully tested my apple account via my computer to successfully purchase music via iTunes; to verify account was working with iTunes store;

4. I spent two hours with apple tech support (515876498) to go thru 1-3 with no success - to obtain tech apple support;

5. I went to an apple store and had the unit directly connected to a computer to wipe it clean and update the software - a proscribed apple stretegy to address the problem;

6. I tested my apple id on the apple tv box in the store on the apple store network and continued to encounter the problem - to determine if my network at home might be the culprit. Apple store techs submitted the problem to their software support team thinking it was a sogtware glitch in the recent software upate, this was a week ago and still no answer.

7. I reviewed home network configurations - to ensure there were no firewall blocks.. yet if the problem existed in the Apple store, it would appear the problem is something else.

8. I connected the apply TV unit via ethernet to my home network - to test wifi versus direction connection.

9. I connected iTunes store support and they indicate that others are able to rent or pruchase movies after the softweare update.

I am currently stumpted as to what variable I have not tested to rectify this problem. I have to the best of my abilities tested hardware, software, network and account management settings.

The problem still persists.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 9:45 AM

63 replies

Oct 14, 2013 10:30 AM in response to griffnet

i am experiencing exactly the same problem. before updating, it was all fine. now, i noticed the interface when you purchase or rent is different - there would be a box to confirm if you'd like to rent and watch now, rent and watch later, or cancel - and upon pressing rent and watch now -- it goes back to the same screen. even playing purchased movies or tv shows....after pressing play, it goes back the the same screen. now i can't rent nor purchase anything!

any solutions yet?

Oct 14, 2013 8:21 PM in response to griffnet

For everyone's information, I tried the following :

(1) Tried to use another Apple account on the Apple TV box, unfortumately it had outdated information related to credit card information on the second account. I tried restoring and trying the account but it still showed the old credit card information, which suggests that the software is not updating information on iTunes store account information.

(2) I did ANOTHER restore of the software (third attempt). I again restored the software to the Apple TV box, entered the original iTunes account information and then attempted to rent a movie. This time...again via the intial attempt to rent, I was requested to enter the three or four digit code to my credit card. I entered it and it immediately went back to the recent screen which requests the special code....an infiite loop request for information - never submits the information.

(3) I accessed iTunes via my iPad through my home network - same as the Apple TV connection, went to movies, located the movie I attempted to rent through Apple TV and successfully rented the movie on my iPad.

In my view, based on all of the steps I have taken in this communication thread, this is a software issue. .....anyone who can prove me wrong I am earntestly eager to hear from them.

Oct 14, 2013 10:18 PM in response to griffnet

This is exactly what is happening to me. I try to play purchased content, it goes to loading screen for about 2 second then takes me right back to the "play, preview, more" screen. The preview will play just fine. Netflix and Hulu Plus work. I can stream from my computer, but when I try to stream from purchased TV or Movies I get this same problem over and over. I have reset and unplugged and that did nothing. I have done full restore and after I did that I could play one tv show. As soon as I tried to play another the same thing all over again. Beyond frustrating! Anything working for anyone?

Oct 15, 2013 5:47 AM in response to griffnet

I have three apple TV's third generation and the issue started on all three simultaniously last night, same issue as described above. I Click to play a movie and after a few seconds of thinking about it it goes back to the same screen as if i never pressed play. I have probably over 1000 USD of purchased of movies ad tv shows so very frustrating, I am having to download onto the IPAD and airstream which seams to work. Emailed apple and they invited me to pay for support, how nice of them. I hope they accept some responsibility and fix this issue soon!

Oct 15, 2013 7:13 AM in response to griffnet

This is an update to my post (Oct 15, 2013):

I talked with senior Apple support tech staff today. The bottom line is they have acknowledged that the issues associated with accessing, renting, or purchasing video content via the Apple TV hardware is a software specific problem associated with the Apple TV box - a software glitch.

They are working on a software update to rectify the problem(s). In the near future (I was told this could be within 24 hours to a few days) you may be prompted for a software update when you turn on your Apply TV. Download the software update and then test to see if you can access, puruchase or rent video content. If the software update does not work, post on this thread. They said they would give me a call after the update is available and also stated they wanted to hear if the update does not work.

Oct 15, 2013 7:17 AM in response to griffnet

Finally they acknowledged it. Hope they can fix it soon. They're actually losin out a lot on this glitch.

Thank God I have another apple TV set which i havn't updated yet...that's working perfectly fine. So my other one which I updated is useless till the update comes. Do inform us if you have news.

Thanks

Can not rent or purchase movies after 6.0 Apple TV update, what strategies have been used recently to successfuly rectify this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.