Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X - Various problems importing AAF files

I'm trying to mix and sound design several scenes in a film in Logic X and I'm having a bunch of frustrating problems importing an AAF file (created in Avid Media Composer). When I try to import the AAF file directly into LPX, several audio regions do appear. However, it quickly became apparent that 1) these regions were way out of synch with each other (with gaps between regions, totally screwing up the edit) and 2) a number of audio regions--entire tracks--were missing all together.

I've been working with the video editor to find the right combination of AAF export setting from Avid MC, but so far none of them result in a file that Logic X can open properly. The only workaround at this point is to import the AAF into Pro Tools 10, and then re-export that Pro Tools sessions as either a new AAF or OMF. THEN and only then does Logic cooperate.

Clearly this workaround isn't practical for an entire feature film. Any ideas why Logic X isn't importing these AAF files correctly? Clearly all the data is there in these original AAF if Pro Tools can read it all properly. Why won't Logic X play ball, too?

Any help would be appreciated.

Logic Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 11:16 AM

2 replies

Oct 14, 2014 10:28 AM in response to brendan256

I've almost the same problem and one year is gone! I'm using OSX 10.9.5 exporting AAF from FCPX using X2PRO audio convert. When importing in Logix X (10.0.7) I've a confused timeline with gaps wrong trimmed audio files. Very bad!!!
But thanks for the suggested workaround!! I'll do this with Nuendo wich don't have problems by importing same AAF file. I'm a LOT disappointed with Apple Apps since 64bit OSX 10 !!!

Oct 14, 2014 11:27 AM in response to Bakmaind

These have been known problems for some time, I don't think Logic 8 or 9 did much better under any version of OSX. The Local PBS affiliate tried every AAF, OMF combination possible and found that Logic would only import very basic projects correctly. They ended up adding using the university's Nuendo licensing agreement and obtaining two Nuendo based editing stations. I don't think you will see a fix for this as it's not Apple's market focus these days. Good luck!

Logic Pro X - Various problems importing AAF files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.