Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I solve the issue where the grand piano no longer sounds like a piano?

Hello,

I'm trying to get back the "Grand Piano" sound on my garage band. I don't rememer changing the sound but whenever I select it -whether it's a new track or adding to an old track- it sounds more electric and less like a "piano".

I was thinking of uninstalling garageband and then reinstalling it. Would this solve the problem? or should I run the upgrade again? is that even possible?

On my laptop the sound is fine, but on my desktop it is not. I also don't know why when you transfer garage band files from one computer to the next, the sounds do not translate. the computer changes it to something else.

In any case, I really want my grand piano back. but who knows what else is wrong and I have not yet discovered it.

Thank you for your help,

🙂

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Intel Core Duo

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 1:27 PM

45 replies

Oct 14, 2013 3:25 PM in response to Duckwally

Have you compared the settings for the "Grand Piano" track, between your laptop and your iMac? You may have accidentally saved changes to "Grand Piano" in the "Edit" panel for the track in the "Info" panel. Check, if the "Sound Generator" is still set to a piano sound, and if it is the same as on your laptop, and check, if any effects have been added.

User uploaded file

Oct 14, 2013 8:43 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for your response. And things are the same between the Laptop and the IMac, but then I went a step further, to check if they had the same menu options and they do not. I'm thinking something to do with the program, yet both versions are the same as they have both been updated. This is the menu I get on my Laptop. User uploaded file

But this is the menu I get on my desktop.

User uploaded file

Any other suggestions?

Oct 14, 2013 10:58 PM in response to Duckwally

This looks like a part of your instrument library may missing.

What are the MacOS X versions on your laptop and your iMac? Is your profile signature still correct?

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Intel Core Duo

Did you migrate your system from the laptop to your iMac, when you setup your iMac? And use Migration assistant? Then the jampack instruments in the instrument library may not have been copied over, as Christoph Drösser reported (Re: Why are my Jam Pack voices not showing in GB?). If that should be the case, compare the Intrument libraries on both machines and copy the complete Instrument library from your notebook to your iMac, if instruments should be missing.

In MacOS X 10.8.5 the instruments Library is installed in

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

I don't remember, if it was in the same location in MacOS X 10.6.x.

-- Léonie

Oct 19, 2013 12:38 AM in response to Duckwally

Did you reboot the system, after installing the instruments?

And do you now see the same instrument menu on both your macs in the "edit" panel for your piano track? If yes, after setting the sound generator to "piano", have you checked, if you are now using the "grand piano" or the "Steinway piano"? Like in my screenshot?

Have you checked in the Trackhead, if any automation curves have been added to your piano track?

Oct 19, 2013 1:53 PM in response to Duckwally

Look again into your Instrument Library.

In the folder

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Plug-In Settings/Piano/

you should find the following instruments:

User uploaded file

and you should have plenty of wav files in

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files/Grand Piano/

also Grand Piano files in

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/Grand Piano On Stage.exs

User uploaded file

Oct 19, 2013 2:30 PM in response to Duckwally

Is that what you are seeing?

User uploaded file

I get this, when I move the file

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/Grand Piano.exs

to the Trash.

Check, if this file is missing or corrupted in any way. Compare the file sizes between your two macs. Maybe the protections are not the same. Compare, what you you see in the "File > Get Info" panel.

Oct 20, 2013 12:08 AM in response to Duckwally

Then I really have no more ideas. BTW, when I remove the "Grand Piano.exs", my piano sounds more like a horn or organ, not like an instrument with strings.

Have you installed any additional audio components on your iMac that could be interfering? Any Midi drivers, plug-ins? Check this folder for Components and plug-ins:

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/

How do I solve the issue where the grand piano no longer sounds like a piano?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.