Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you transfer songs from a used ipod into your itunes library?

I bought a used ipod 4th gen at a pawn shop. How can I get the songs from this ipod into my itues library?

iPod nano

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 3:07 PM

9 replies

Oct 15, 2013 8:32 AM in response to sixtsvn67

Stealing? I don't think so. I bought this used ipod fair and square at a licensed store. The person who owned it before sold it to that store. That person already bought the songs on that ipod. By selling it in an open market, the material still present on that ipod also becomes the property of the buyer. It is not the buyers fault the seller did not delete the music. How can you call that stealing?

Oct 15, 2013 8:38 AM in response to sixtsvn67

sixtsvn67 wrote:

By selling it in an open market, the material still present on that ipod also becomes the property of the buyer.

Flat out wrong. The content is independently licensed to the buyer and is not associated with the device at all.

Someone selling something illegally does not make it legal for you to own. While it is not your fault that the seller neglected to remove that which they had no right to include, that does not magically make it legal for you to use that which you do not have a license to use.

People sell stolen or illegal items all the time on the "open market" - but that does not absolve the buyer of the fact they now own stolen property, and that in itself is illegal in most places.

Oct 17, 2013 8:58 AM in response to sixtsvn67

Well, since many people here are software developers,or iBook authors and so on, many people here take a dim view of other people who casually steal intellectual property as if it is no consequence to anyone or because they somehow feel they are entitled to it.

You can rationalize it anyway you like, but you are stealing someone else's intellectual property and denying them due compensation for what they produced. When you download music, books, apps or most other content, you are NOT buying that content - you are merely buying an individual license to use it for yourself.

Nov 2, 2013 7:48 AM in response to sixtsvn67

Michael ,glad to see you stand your ground with the Cracker Jax lawer Clyde. I share your feelings as well!! I just bought an ipod touch 1-2 gen (not sure which) and a Nano from a freind at work who upgraded. I mainly purchased them for the songs on them for my stereo in my truck, but would like to get the songs off of it onto my iTunes library. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Todd

Jul 9, 2014 2:25 AM in response to sixtsvn67

Cassettes, LPs, etc. are all sold used at thrift shops and on many online venues. The law does in fact forbid re-selling legally purchased music, but it also forbids the sales I just listed, and even the resale of used books. Clearly these laws are not enforced. In circumstances like your I think these is no case: you cannot reasonably allow stores to exist for generations that sell nothing BUT used books and still prosecute someone for taking possession of a small, reasonable number of songs on a used iPod. If you were loading you music library on mp3 players and selling them on any kind of a regular basis it would be another matter. It's not legal but neither are many other reasonable and common acts.

Look elsewhere for programs to achieve your purpose and reviews of these programs to evaluate which to try.

Can you transfer songs from a used ipod into your itunes library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.