Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when i send an imessage from my computer, when i hit send, the reciever gets it, it shows up on my phone, but not on my computer, it just disappears

a while back i was in a group chat and was spammed with thousands, yes, thousands of texts at once. when i started up my computer, imessage attempted to load the messages. Now, when i send a message it will show up on my phone, but i cant see it on my computer, when i hit send it just vanishes. this is an improvement from months ago however, when my messages wouldnt even send. im running 10.8.5.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 5:01 PM

1 reply

Oct 14, 2013 7:00 PM in response to banshee10592

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

Back up all data.

Quit Messages if it’s running.

Step 1

Hold down the option key and select

Go Library

from the Finder menu bar. Move the following items from the Library folder to the Trash (either may not exist):

• Caches/com.apple.Messages
  • Caches/com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent

Leave the Library folder open. Log out and log back in. Try Messages again. If it works now, stop here. Close the Library folder.

Step 2

If you still have problems, quit Messages again. Go back to the Finder and move the following item from the open Library folder to the Desktop:

Note: you are not moving the Messages application. You’re moving a folder named “Messages.”

Test. If Messages now works, delete the Messages folder on the Desktop. Otherwise, quit Messages again. Put back the folder you moved, overwriting the newer one that may have been created in its place, and continue.

Step 3

In the Preferences subfolder, there may be several files having names that begin with any of the following strings:

• com.apple.iChat
  • com.apple.ids
  • com.apple.imdsmsrecordstore
  • com.apple.imessage
  • com.apple.imservice

Move them all to the Desktop. There may also be a file with the name "com.apple.imagent.plist". Move that to the Trash.

Also in the Preferences folder, there's a subfolder named "ByHost". Open it and do the same thing.

Log out and log back in. Test again. This time Messages should perform normally, but your settings will be lost. You may be able to put back some of the files you moved to the Desktop in this step. Relaunch and test after each one. Eventually you should find one or more that causes Messages to malfunction. Delete those files and recreate whatever settings they contained.

If the issue is still not resolved, quit Messages again and put all the items you moved to the Desktop back where they were. You don’t need to replace the items you moved to the Trash. Stop here and post again.

If you later decide that you don’t like the results of steps 2 and 3, you can undo them completely by quitting Messages and restoring the items you deleted in those steps from your backup.

when i send an imessage from my computer, when i hit send, the reciever gets it, it shows up on my phone, but not on my computer, it just disappears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.