Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal for optimized media to be 8x in size?

Is it normal for optimized media to be 8x in size? I downloaded a 3GB video from my camera and clicked on optimized media. I then revealed in finder of that file and now it's 23GB. Is this normal? Without optimized media the video won't even playback on my iMac. So I'm left with no choice but to optimize so is this my only option right now...it absolutely murders my disk space.

P.S. I'm using a GoPro camera.

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 5:17 PM

8 replies

Oct 15, 2013 7:43 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

To conserve disk space, you can always trash the optimized (Pro Res 422) files and render files when you archive your projects. Just make sure you hang on to the original (compressed) media.

Russ

Not sure what you mean? Do you mean delete the prores files when I'm not working with that event? If so, what is a quick way to do that?

Oct 15, 2013 9:01 AM in response to aapl.crox

aapl.crox wrote:

Do you mean delete the prores files when I'm not working with that event? If so, what is a quick way to do that?

I mean after you're through working with the project and have delivered your finished output.

In the Finder, if you go to your event folder, you'll see folders that look similar to these. You can trash the Transcoded media folder. If you ever need to re-edit, you can always generate new optimized media.

User uploaded file

Russ

Oct 15, 2013 9:15 AM in response to aapl.crox

Well, it depends on what I start with. Much of the footage I work with is shot highly compressed and so I nearly always optimize. It makes editing a much more pleasant experience. Often I transcode after import so I can do it selectively – not optimizing clips that I'll never use.

And as we've discussed, when the project is finished, the Po Res files (and the renders) can go away.

Russ

Is it normal for optimized media to be 8x in size?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.