Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 4 iOS 7 No RAM

iOS 7 as it has for many users caused a noticeable & somewhat annoying lag (I call it skipping) throughout the OS. Videos won't even play correctly without being out of sync & glitching severely & that's just 1 of many issue making it near unusable. Virtually every part including phone calls both incoming & out are severely delayed. About a 2-4 second lag from when I hit answer unit it shows connected. I just timed it from a call, I hit answer & when finally showed on screen connected the call timer was already at 4 seconds. I've attempted to do several things to improve this, however to no avail. I've listed below what I've done.

1. Turned increase contrast on under accessibility to get rid of heavy graphics load.

2. Disabled Background App Refresh

3. Turned off Documents & Data in Icloud settings

I started digging little more past few days & noticed that my iPhone is using almost all it's available RAM (512mb) at any given time the available RAM averages only maybe 4-5%. What's interesting & I don't understand is that even with the steps listed above I've also closed every app or process that I can & I'm still maxing out my RAM. I also deleted many apps that were installed. Still nothing & same no matter what I do. Any ideas or suggestions please?

Thanks

iPhone 4 (GSM) AT&T 32GB

iOS 7.0.2

15GB Available on HD

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.2, 32GB GSM AT&T

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 6:52 PM

4 replies

Oct 14, 2013 7:19 PM in response to donnieb82

Sometimes mobile operating systems "forget" to free up ram, even if the phone isn't using it.

Here are a few things you can try, in order of difficulty, starting with the basics.

First, try power cycling your phone.

If that doesn't work, you can try a hard reset, which is done by holding the power button and home button until the device powers down. This normally works for most "hang" or "lag" type Issues that I have with my iPhone 4S.

Lastly, you can try a full restore of the phone's operating system through iTunes. You can select "restore from backup if you'd like, but if you're using this method as a "last resort", I would recommend starting over from scratch. This is because by starting fresh, you are eliminating the possibility that some setting or fluke from your backup is hogging all of the ram.

Make sure to take your pictures and videos off before restoring and starting from scratch!

Most of everything else will come back to life when you sign in with iCloud!

Hope this helps!

Nick

Oct 14, 2013 9:21 PM in response to njspak

I appreciate the reply, however I'm quite familiar with Apple & other mobile/electronics myself & already attempted such things previous to steps I mentioned. I understand the difference in actual RAM & storage ram whereas residual is still reserved regardless if shut down and or closed out manually. I'm just perplexed at fact I've done everything & my RAM is still near maxing out with not actives to justify unless it's an actual issues with the iOS running processes itself in which would seem a bug & more hardware issue.

IPhone 4 iOS 7 No RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.