Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new be to macs needs some basic help

I bought a used mid 2007 Imac 24 and am new to macs. I have a sony laptop running windows 7, microsoft office and was using outlook. this was my home computer. I also have an ipad and an iphone. I have itunes on my pc laptop and itunes match and was sort of sinked up between the 3 devices with email, contacts, calendar and itunes. The pc has a broken screen so I cant figure a way to access it.

Question 1 - how to update my new/used iMac to my calendar/email/ contacts etc like i have on the pc and iPad? basicaly how do i make the new computer mine?

I did figure out how to change myself to the admin with new password on the imac and was able to get the email to work for my gmail, and also sign in to itunes but my music is stuck on my pc. i do have i tunes match but apparantley you have to download 1 song or album at a time - (pain). also my preferences on safari and contacts and everything else has not been transfered.

question 2 - is how to bring over everything else from my pc laptop (windows 7) with a broken screen?

Can any body help a newbe to mac?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), mid 2007 imac24

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 6:27 PM

6 replies

Oct 14, 2013 6:54 PM in response to Jwh5566

Jwh5566 wrote:

... basicaly how do i make the new computer mine?

The first thing you must do is erase the iMac's hard disk and install its original operating system. You will encounter numerous frustrations until you do that.

Once its original operating system is installed, you will need to upgrade it to Snow Leopard ($19), then Mountain Lion (another $19).

You will require the iMac's original System and Applications Install DVDs. If the seller did not provide them you must purchase a replacement set from Apple. They will require your Mac's serial number. The price is reasonable ($25 or so).

question 2 - is how to bring over everything else from my pc laptop (windows 7) with a broken screen?

An inoperative PC display will make that tedious. You would be better off extracting the PC's hard disk and installing it in an inexpensive enclosure. The Mac can read PC formatted volumes, but you may have to convert file formats. MP3 music, jpeg photos, and Office documents, for example, can be copied and read by corresponding Mac apps, but address book contacts and email messages may be more difficult to translate.

Oct 15, 2013 9:48 AM in response to John Galt

thanks for your reply john galt - who are you by the way? everybody wants to know who is john galt.

that methoud doesnt sound too good. 1st i dont have any of the original disks and 2nd the computer is updated with a new operating system already so buying older ones doesnt really appeal. Third there is some adobe software loaded that i dont want to loose.

do you know of any other way that would not require the erasing of hard drive? it is all been cleaned already of the previous owners data except for the software which i would like to keep.

Oct 15, 2013 10:50 AM in response to Jwh5566

Jwh5566 wrote:

... 1st i dont have any of the original disks and 2nd the computer is updated with a new operating system already so buying older ones doesnt really appeal. Third there is some adobe software loaded that i dont want to loose.

I understand all that, but a Mac cannot be sold in that condition. It's not just a legal consideration, it's a practical one.

The seller was remiss in not properly configuring your iMac for sale. Almost no one does. You can fix that oversight by following my instructions. You will encounter numerous frustrations until you do.

new be to macs needs some basic help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.