Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help changing software priorities and other

1. How do I get screen shots to automatically be jpeg and Photoshop format not preview and png? Is there a way to specify a folder, for screen shots, to go in when first snapped (and not on desktop)?

Preview Icons only show actual picture thumbnail icons on desktop, once in a folder, they turn back into the generic Preview icon..why is that and is there a way to make all preview pngs have picture icons (Icons of the picture that is the file)?

2. How do I get txt. doc. rtf and other wp files to automatically open MSW?

3. How do I get Safari to open PDF in Adobe Reader/Acrobat?

4. How do I get PDF's to automatically be Adobe format and not Preview?

5. If I go to install an app that is not 10.4 compliant (unknowingly of course) what will happen? Will it tell me its not compliant (like OS 9) or will it go ahead and install it?

6. I unchecked all the foreign languages (under get info, language sub category) of applications, is this going to cause any problems?

Sorry for all the questions, but since they are somewhat relative to on another, I thought it's be ok to post them together.

Thank you in advance,
Deb

eMac 2005 1.42ghz 10.4 From OS9 Heaven To OSX Hellp

Posted on Jul 2, 2006 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2006 4:57 PM

Let's see how many I can answer off the top of my head in a hurry before I shut the home computers down before the approaching thunderstorm reaches overhead 🙂

2 & 4: find one of the desired files on the desktop, Get Info, expand the Open With tab in the Info window, browse to the desired application if it's not listed under "Other", select that, and click on 'Always open with'

5. Depends on the application; some are written to check the installed OS version and quit or warn you if the version number doesn't meet a minimum requirement, others with just install away without checking a thing.

6. Turning off foreign languages should only be a problem if you suddenly find a need to write a paper in Mandarian (a lot of people use Monolingual to remove unneeded foreighn langiages entirely; that can save about 1 GB of disk space from a full Tiger install).
19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2006 4:57 PM in response to Debberss

Let's see how many I can answer off the top of my head in a hurry before I shut the home computers down before the approaching thunderstorm reaches overhead 🙂

2 & 4: find one of the desired files on the desktop, Get Info, expand the Open With tab in the Info window, browse to the desired application if it's not listed under "Other", select that, and click on 'Always open with'

5. Depends on the application; some are written to check the installed OS version and quit or warn you if the version number doesn't meet a minimum requirement, others with just install away without checking a thing.

6. Turning off foreign languages should only be a problem if you suddenly find a need to write a paper in Mandarian (a lot of people use Monolingual to remove unneeded foreighn langiages entirely; that can save about 1 GB of disk space from a full Tiger install).

Jul 2, 2006 5:51 PM in response to Debberss

As for the screenshot filetype:
Open up Terminal and execute the following:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg

Restart your computer and your screenshots will be in JPEG-format.

For more information:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050627224051361

I don't know if it's possible to change the screenshot location. A quick solution may be writing an Automator action that makes a screenshot and moves it to your chosen folder.

Jul 4, 2006 4:53 AM in response to JMVP

Hi JVMP
Thanks for replying... I see the app changer..cool thanks I was on the lookout for a separate window like in WIN ME and OS9 FileExchange...And I was just in the get info unchecking languages for about 25 apps..full on tunnel vision or what

Thats ok about languages being installed as long as each app isn't loading them as a "just in case".

Wow so it's the app that tells you its compliant or not..I thought it was my system...gottcha tks

Would I need these languages to read or translate what someone else has written/wrote..example::: would a French language based web page show french words or garbled without the language, same if its chinese with symbols for words.

Thanks again,
Deb?

Jul 4, 2006 5:56 AM in response to Debberss

Hi Deb,

You want to talk tunnel vision working on a problem, I'm here!

There's actually a distinction between languages and fonts. The language support determines how documents and pages appear, the fonts determine with what the docs or pages are drawn. If you used Monolingual to remove languages and then tried to view a Chinese webpage, it'd be a mess since some languages are 255-character extended rather than 128-character, there's be plenty of non-printing character blocks scattered about. Some languages parse differently and have different rules.

You can use Applications> Utilities> Font Book to disable fonts while leaving them on the hard drive in case you ever need to reactivate them.

There are some fonts you want to leave alone. The top reference I have on the subject is Kurt Lang – Font Management

Jul 4, 2006 8:14 AM in response to JMVP

ok I will check it out and I have disable alot of fonts..and dang there's alot of them. Only thru font book not individual libraries.

PLIST problem

I just discovered this today. I downloaded Maintain1, and did a plist check...and 80+ of them didn't have an OK after them...but messages.
Is maintain a reliable app? Should I double check the results using another app.

Here's a sample of the output....I don't want to post the whole thing here, but I can email it to you.

/Users/deblee/Library/Preferences/xchm Preferences:
XML parser error:
Unexpected character [ at line 1
Old-style plist parser error:
Unexpected character '0x5b' at line 1

/Library/Preferences/DRM: file does not exist or is not readable or is not a regular file
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService: file does not exist or is not readable or is not a regular file
/Library/Preferences/HP Registry:
XML parser error:
Unexpected character C at line 1
Unexpected ';' or '=' after key at line 1

/Library/Preferences/Hewlett-Packard Preferences: file does not exist or is not readable or is not a regular file
/Library/Preferences/Network: file does not exist or is not readable or is not a regular file
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration: file does not exist or is not readable or is not a regular file
/Library/Preferences/com.Alsoft.DiskWarrior.prefs:
XML parser error:
Unexpected character at line 1
Unexpected character '0x0' at line 1

Can you advise me on what to do, cause I have no idea where to go from here.

Thanks
Deb

Jul 4, 2006 2:53 PM in response to Debberss

Deb,

Between thunderstorms again here! (I guess I won't have to worry about a stray bottle rocket setting the roof afire.) I'm not familar with the program Maintain1. 80 ,plist problems sounds like a lot; I'd have thought you would've notice a few problems with your computer by now if that many were corrupted.

The utility I've seen most often recommended for checking preferences is Preferential Treatment. You can also check your .plist files in Terminal by copying and pasting this line into it:
find ~/Library -name '*.plist' -exec /usr/bin/plutil -lint {} \;

The Preferential Treatment and the Terminal command and see how they compare to the Maintain1 program; if the others confirm a problem, you can fix the corrupted prefs (essentially, drag them to a holding folder or the Desktop and log out and back in to force the prefs to be recreated using the defaults next time the assocaiated program is called). If PrefTreatment and Terminal, indicate you're OK, you can fix Maintain1 (by dragging it to the Trash).

I notice you have HP drivers installed. HP (along with Adobe) is rather well-known for trampling all over the place in terms of installing bits and pieces in places it's not really supposed to; be sure you've run Disk Utility's Repair Permissions every time after installing anything from HP (or Adobe).

Jul 4, 2006 4:35 PM in response to JMVP

Hi,

LOL.I'm just the opposite....I live in CA Desert 102 today...and the only city here (in desert) that allows fireworks....tg I have a rock roof...lol

Is it not good to use computer in thunder storms?

I just did one of these commands in terminal and NO bad plists...all OK's
I

sudo find /Library/Preferences -name *.plist -exec plutil {} \;;find ~/Library/Preferences -name *plist -exec plutil {} \;

Just ran PT and all user prefs are OK

System prefs said this

Preferential Treatment v1.1.6 by Jonathan Nathan
http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/as/

system preference report
Tuesday, July 4, 2006 4:33:52 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------

Corrupt Preference File:
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/ActiveDirectory.plist

Problem(s):
You do not have permission to read this file, it is owned by root. Try authenticating with your administrator password (click the “lock” button).

--------------------------------------------------------------

Corrupt Preference File:
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/ContactsNodeConfig.plist

Problem(s):
You do not have permission to read this file, it is owned by root. Try authenticating with your administrator password (click the “lock” button).

--------------------------------------------------------------

Corrupt Preference File:
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/ContactsNodeConfigBackup.plist

Problem(s):

---------------------------------------------------------------

Corrupt Preference File:
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/DirectoryService.plist

Problem(s):

Corrupt Preference File:
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/DSLDAPv3PlugInConfig.plist

Problem(s):

----------------------------------------------------------------

Corrupt Preference File:
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/SearchNodeConfig.plist

Problem(s):

Corrupt Preference File:
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/SearchNodeConfigBackup.plist

Problem(s):

More thoughts.

Thanks
Deb

Jul 4, 2006 8:19 PM in response to Debberss

Deb,

The messages from Preferential Treatment suggest your normal user account is set up as a full user but not as an administrative user; is that correct? That's actually been suggested by several thoughtful posters as a way of futher insulating one's day-to-day Mac use from potential exploits. My son's got the Mac at home at the moment so I can't check the actual ownership of those files on mine; I don't recall seeing those sort of "you do not have permissions" message before, since my user accouts are administrative user.

In any case, I'd say your prefs are fine and that you should fix the Maintain1 program as earlier suggested 😉

p.s. I've passed through the CA dessert a few times, and I have to say, all those people who say it's not the heat, it's the humidity? I've found myself fantasizing about shaking them roughly while shrieking in their face you freaking idiot, it IS the heat!. You might think I'd offer to trade weather on a day where the local high hit 94, humidity hit 90%, and two thunderstorms rolled through, but I won't.

Jul 5, 2006 12:26 PM in response to JMVP

JVMP,

To tell you the truth..I don't know anything about an administrative acct.
The day I got the computer I set something up but don't remember how or what it was?
The eMac died the same day I got it and was shipped back to where I bought it for repair and a month and 1/2 later I got it back...and just started using it from that point on.
I do get asked for password here and there but thats all I can tell you ...sorry
Want to see my log files...lol..I get the "you don't have permission to read this file" alot...on logs I was able to read at one ..but now can't.
They've got alot of errors, exception and null in most of them.
I can't mail some logs because only the first few lines get posted to the email..not the complete log.
They are in need of some serious reviewing by someone who can interpret them.
I know you can interpret them but you have you have your hands full helping out here.
Any suggestions?
"I should fix Maintain1 program" The program doesn't offer to repair the plist ..it only reports on them.

Thanks,
Deb

p.s. heat and humidity is a killer..the heat alone is bad. I don't know why I'm still here. Last year I learned..you can feel the difference between 122º and 117º.

Jul 5, 2006 12:46 PM in response to Debberss

To fix Maintain1, given that it's reporting problems that Preferential Treatment and the Terminal's plutil program think are OK, move Maintain1 to the Trash and select Empty Trash from the Finder menu. That should fix it!
(To be fair, you might wait until you can log on as an admin user to check the system logs, but since some of the prefs you noted Maintain1 as flagging were your user prefs, I go ahead and get rid of Maintain1).

You can view your user account logs when logged on as a non-admin user but can't open the system logs until you log on as an admin. You should be able to navigate to a system log in the Finder; e.g. ~/Library/ Logs/ Software Update.log Click once on such a log and do Get Info, then expand the details tab under ownership & permissions at the bottom of the Info window. What does it show as the owner of the log?

When you start up the computer, do you get a list of user names to select from? If it goes to your user account when you start up, go to System Preferences> Accounts. There should be a lsit of accounts in the window pane on the left and at least one of them should have "Admin" under it (matching the owner of the system log you checked earlier).

To try to log onto an admin account, open the System Preferences> Accounts> Login option and uncheck "Automatically log in as" (you can always change it back) and restart. Or, enable Fast User Switching and then try to switch to the Admin user from the icon in the menu bar.

Try your known passwords on the Admin account. If the password doesn't work, see Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password

Jul 5, 2006 3:10 PM in response to JMVP

JVMP

<<You should be able to navigate to a system log in the Finder; e.g. ~/Library/ Logs/ Software Update.log>>

There are no system logs in either library (home or Mac HD)

When I open up console..it says
/var/log
asl.log
crashreporter
cups

daily out
fax

ftp.log
httpd

install.log
ipfw.log
lpr.log
mail.log
netinfo.log
ppp
sa
samba

secure.log
system.log
weekly out
windowserver.log
wtmp gz
=folder

Need help changing software priorities and other

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.