Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I press the Safari button, Google comes up.

Help! Instead of the Safari search screen, I get a screen with four buttons:

• webmail
  • configuring mail
  • google docs
  • facebook log-in

The search bar across the top is for Google.

I've tried resetting my phone, but that doesn't change the problem.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.1

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 7:13 AM

I'm afraid I wasn't clear in my description of the problem. I have tried changing the browser to Yahoo, but I still get Google, and I get a default loading page - with the four icons I mentioned - that I can't change.

Also, when I try to close the page by clicking on the bottom right icon (with one square behind another), a strange quadrilateral shape appears. It is shades of gray, going from dark to light, with a band across the top. My three action choices at the bottom are "Private;"the plus sign, which takes me back to the four icon page; and "Done," which also takes me back to the same page.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2013 7:13 AM in response to kb4200

I'm afraid I wasn't clear in my description of the problem. I have tried changing the browser to Yahoo, but I still get Google, and I get a default loading page - with the four icons I mentioned - that I can't change.

Also, when I try to close the page by clicking on the bottom right icon (with one square behind another), a strange quadrilateral shape appears. It is shades of gray, going from dark to light, with a band across the top. My three action choices at the bottom are "Private;"the plus sign, which takes me back to the four icon page; and "Done," which also takes me back to the same page.

Oct 15, 2013 7:31 AM in response to RSedgwick

Are you trying to set it in the settings menu of the phone? That is the only place you can set it, you CAN set a new home page your just not doing it correctley. The bottom right icon is not for closing the app, you can close webpages, make an incognito tab or add a tab. if you want to close a tab you press the X at the top left corner. Or jut press the home button to leave the browser.

Oct 15, 2013 8:11 AM in response to RSedgwick

Yes I saw that and edited my post accordingly, if it's not setting it then go back into settings and when you go to change it tap it 2-3 times and either close the app out using the multitask viewer or restart your phone. I did it myself without having to to do either of those. Why do you prefer yahoo anyway if I may ask? There should be an X there regardless of whether or not it's shows on your phone or not. Just try resetting all settings if a restart doesn't bring it up.

Oct 15, 2013 8:22 AM in response to RSedgwick

My safari had problems, I did a reset by holding the power and home button till the apple logo appears, ignoring the slide to switch off. Try to change the search engine in the settings after that and open safari and see if it changes.

In order to close the tabs, once you click the lower right button(squares) u can swipe the unwanted tabs to the left of the screen. It will close the tabs.

Oct 15, 2013 8:23 AM in response to RSedgwick

Lets see if i can explain this:

Safari opens to a list of favorites. They are presented in little squares.

This is the base blank page Safari starts in. You type in the address bar at the top to search for anything you want using the search engine set for it in Settings->Safari->Search Engine

This page is not Google, its simply a launch page that can have your most visited sites for easy access.

If you only have one page open and its this blank page, then you can't close it as there is nothing to close. This is the base starting page for Safari now.

User uploaded file

You can remove the shortcuts from this page if you don't want them by tapping on the book icon to open Bookmarks, and then on Favorites and then swiping to the left to bring up the Delete button to remove them.

Oct 15, 2013 8:26 AM in response to kb4200

Thanks for hanging in with this kb4200. To answer your question about Yahoo first - because it's an easy anser, I only changed the browser to Yahoo to see if that made a difference with my default loading page and the weird thing that happens when I press the close pages button. I have changed the browser settings back to Google. And of course, I still get no X in the top left corner and the weirdness continues.

When you say, "go back to settings," do you mean Safari settings? And what is the "it" I should tap 2-3 times?

And when you say, "try resetting all settings," I assume you mean all General settings, because there is no reset option in Safari settings. Yes? But if yes, won't reset all settings wipe out some stuff I don't want wiped out?

Oct 15, 2013 8:47 AM in response to RSedgwick

Yeah I meant the Safari settings, and "it" was jsut referring to choice of search engine ie. Google, Yahoo etc.

Reset all settings in general settings was what I was talking about, it would just change things back to default, like put your wallpaper back to normal reset the wifi connection so you would need to retype the password and some other things like that. For the closing page, it should just be there unless like the other guy stated if there is only the startup page opened.

When I press the Safari button, Google comes up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.