Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why doesn't airdrop work from a iPhone 5 or 5s to a Macbook Air, Pro or iMac w/ OSX 10.5.8?

Howdy,

I can't use airdrop with my iPhone 5 and a bunch of fairly expensive Mac Hardware from MBP to MB Air to iMacs et al in my office all running OSX 10.5.8.

I'd love to shoot over some family images from the iPhone's photo album to the disk of one of the Macs, without having them to send per mail and downloading them from there. and NO, I don't use iPhoto. I use Adobe CC.

Did I miss something? Or do we have to wait for the mighty gods to release this in their next OSX?

cheers

C

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 10:47 AM

5 replies

May 1, 2014 6:10 AM in response to vertrider

AirDrop compatibility did not exist until Mac OS X 10.8.

Looking at the System Profiler, you should be able to determine if your Intel Mac is capable of it:

MacBook Pro 5,1 and later

MacBook Air 3,1 and later

MacBook 5,1 and later

iMac 9,1 and later

Mac Mini 4,1 and later

Mac Pro 4,1 and later

If you have a PowerPC Mac, there is no AirDrop, and standard file sharing rules apply.

why doesn't airdrop work from a iPhone 5 or 5s to a Macbook Air, Pro or iMac w/ OSX 10.5.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.