Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the Mini DisplayPort in the New Later Imac 2013?

in the text is the Mini Port but not in the actual Imac
so how I connect another display? can i connect 2 extra monitors? in the USB 3 ?

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 11:40 AM

Mid 2011 and newer iMacs have got Thunderbolt instead of Mini DisplayPort. Thunderbolt can be used for audio, video and data, so you can connect displays to the computer by using a Mini DisplayPort adapter, because Mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt use the same port. In other words, Thunderbolt is the same as Mini DisplayPort but with the ability to transfer data to an external drive.

If you want to connect a display, see the ports it has got and buy a Mini DisplayPort adapter and a cable for it. Then, connect the iMac and the display, and image will show automatically on the external screen. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5019

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2013 11:40 AM in response to danielpetermann

Mid 2011 and newer iMacs have got Thunderbolt instead of Mini DisplayPort. Thunderbolt can be used for audio, video and data, so you can connect displays to the computer by using a Mini DisplayPort adapter, because Mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt use the same port. In other words, Thunderbolt is the same as Mini DisplayPort but with the ability to transfer data to an external drive.

If you want to connect a display, see the ports it has got and buy a Mini DisplayPort adapter and a cable for it. Then, connect the iMac and the display, and image will show automatically on the external screen. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5019

Apr 7, 2014 2:33 AM in response to danielpetermann

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

on Connections and expansion is stated as follows.

(one might understand this as if there should be a separate mini-displayport)

• SDXC card slot
  • Four USB 3 ports (compatible with USB 2)
  • Two Thunderbolt ports
  • Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)
  • 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
  • Kensington lock slot

Apr 7, 2014 9:49 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1

You asked where this is written - if you read my original question, you will see it says that it's in the spec for the iMac (on the Apple Store page) which can be seen here: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/.

If you can't find it, have a look at the first entry above (by danielpetermann) because he has a photo, along with the misleading description.

You'll see that anoldlayne-2 also repeats this Apple data, so I don't understand the somewhat cryptic "Or one might understand it correctly" which is about as useless as a chocolate poker.

Before this gets bent out of shape, I've been using Apple kit since the late 1980s, and have had a lot of different systems down the years, so I'm not some wet-behind-the-ears Windows user having a go at the other side. I'm a dedicated Mac user, and my question is valid as I have two 30" Apple Displays, both of which are DVI, both of which are in good working order, and at least one of them would be useful with an iMac. It might not be important to a lot of people, but if the other Thunderbolt ports already have target equipment, it might be for me.

Still not heard from Apple, don't expect to either.

Apr 7, 2014 2:48 PM in response to danielpetermann

This is a somewhat circular discussion; the text you can't see is clearly on the iMac specs page as indicated. If you can't see it there, I'd invite you to go through the Store link, click on iMac and then Specifications. Near the bottom you'll see a description of outputs.

To make life easier, I would suggest you take a look again at danielpetermann's original post. The text you can't see is in the fourth bullet under the picture of the back of an iMac, and says:

"Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)"

Because this is under outputs, and has it's own bullet (as do USB, Thunderbolt, etc), and as it's not a subheading under Thunderbolt, then it says there is a Mini DisplayPort.

If, what you seem to be suggesting, is, that for Thunderbolt, also read "and works as a MiniDisplay output port, then it should say so. It doesn't.

I hopes this helps you understand.

Mar 23, 2014 4:35 AM in response to danielpetermann

I see the replies about a mini display port on the iMac, saying that a thunderbolt port doubles as a mini display port.

I've raised a question (with no reply) to Apple, because the description for the current iMac says there are 2 thunderbolt slots AND a mini display port.

Might not be a big issue, but the specification, as described, is misleading.

All the other ports are as described (including the 2 thunderbolts), but the mini display port is not shown. I thought perhaps it was elsewhere on the casing (underneath, perhaps), but this seems somewhat illogical.

I'd venture to suggest that the original question has only been answered in part. Yes, he can attach 2 extra monitors via the thunderbolt slots, but if I understand correctly, the essence of what he wanted to know was where is the mini display port? Which was also my question. This might be an issue if I wanted to use the 2 thunderbolt slots for something other than a monitor (external storage, printer, etc), as under that scenario the mini display port would be crucial.

Mar 23, 2014 4:44 AM in response to crliege

crliege wrote:

I see the replies about a mini display port on the iMac, saying that a thunderbolt port doubles as a mini display port.

I've raised a question (with no reply) to Apple, because the description for the current iMac says there are 2 thunderbolt slots AND a mini display port.

Please supply a link to where that is stated.

The current iMacs use ThunderBolt ports for MiniDisplay, and they have two (just as the spec says) so if you have seen mention of a 3rd port I would like to see it.

Might not be a big issue, but the specification, as described, is misleading.

Or misread.

Where is the Mini DisplayPort in the New Later Imac 2013?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.