Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use SSH to remotely browse a file share on OS X Server from a Windows Machine?

I have a Client who has a Mac Mini running 10.7 server and needs to connect remotely to it. They already have a static IP address set up and I have forwarded port 22 on to the machine. I have been able to connect from the OS X Client remotely using these instructions...

http://www.hackerco.de/hackercode/2006/11/tunneling-afp-over-ssh.html

...and it works great. I am able to use the finder to remotly browse the system and all is good.

This client has one user who needs to connect remotely from a Windows machine and herein lies my problem...I'm a mac guy, not a windows guy. I have sucessfully used PuTTY to connect to the server remotely, but am unsure what I should do now. I am at the PuTTY Comand like prompt for the remote machine in windows. How do I bring up the file shares in a GUI that I can browse through, maybe in windows explorer? I have read various ways of using the comand line to get and send files but this client is not going to want to do it that way. Also, what ports do I need to tunnel with to get SMB working? 445?

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 12:52 PM

3 replies

How do I use SSH to remotely browse a file share on OS X Server from a Windows Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.