What to do when you return or send your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in for service
If you're going to return your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch or sell, be sure to follow the steps below to ensure the best experience.
Please perform these steps:
- Sync your device with iTunes.
- Back up your device.
- Turn off iMessage: Tap Settings > Messages.
- Erase all the data on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. If you're using iOS 7, you will be prompted to:
- Enter your passcode, if one is enabled.
- Tap Erase.
- Tap a second time to confirm that you want to erase your device.
- Enter your iCloud passcode to remove the device from your account.
- Remove any case or film, if present.
- If your iPhone or iPad has a SIM card, remove the SIM card.
Note: If your iPhone or iPad has cellular service, be sure to contact your carrier to suspend service. You can also discuss which options may be available for using another cellular device while yours is being repaired.